Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Trip report: weekend play at the Wynn & Bellagio 15-30 games

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Re: Wynn room, I simply had totally wrongheaded expectations. From what I saw, it *is* the best looking room in Vegas, barring some of the really high end semi private spaces, and although its unfair of me to rip on them for not living up to my fantasy, I would certainly have preferred the law library motif with fewer frat boys railbirding me while their girlfriends went to pick up their comped tickets to Spamalot, so bitch I shall as its cheaper than therapy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were on the rail? The 15-30 games are normally in the back middle of the room where the only railers are three 30-60 players waiting for their game to go.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was a fine trip report, filled with witticisms the likes of which are rarely seen here. OP plumb done hisself a way excellent job.

[/ QUOTE ]

his "witticisms" werent witty or funny, and the bulk of the content consisted of poor discriptions of the other players. you know what they say about taste?

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually understand where hes coming from; a lot of people want their literature to be fairly clinical and without ego or indulgence. its a matter of taste in my opinion and i refuse to hold it against anyone. ive always been "wordy" and frankly my writing style betrays my allegiance to the writers i grew up reading; abbie hoffman, HST, bukowski even, etc. while i would never try to emulate them, i would never deny that they had a pretty huge impact on how i think and write, and ive never for a moment seen it as a sign of anything but different taste when people express their dislike for them (or me).

im a little concerned that people thought i was universally ripping on other players. there were very few players i met who i thought i was "better" than, least of all at poker, i just managed to catch a few with their hands in the cookie jar and managed to pull of some decent reads on a few others.

players like skinny and daniel for example were beyond criticism on literally any level, and quite a few others were profoundly strong as well, including marge btw whom i just happened to nail a few good reads on, but would probably toast me HU.

i felt it was important that i write about those instances with an accurate sense of the confidence and attitude i had to pull together in order to follow through on my reads.

a famous fighter once was asked to comment when a friend of his, a B+ level fighter, got his ass handed to him and proceeded to claim the other fighter got lucky in the post fight interview.

the famous fighter explained; "its sometimes necessary to lie to yourself, or you can never get your head in the right space to dust yourself off and get back into the gym."

when i say i can read such and such from space etc, try to keep statements like the one above in mind instead of simply accusing me of arrogance. the truth is i respected anyone with the stones to pony up the min buyin for a 15-30 LHE game by default, but in order to "play" back at them when so many were so aggressive, i had to think in the ways described in the trip report. thats why i consider it valid to write that way, as it honestly reflected my mindset and attitude at the time, an attitude born of necessity, not any sincere judgement against my opponents.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his "witticisms" werent witty or funny,

[/ QUOTE ]

WERE TOOOOO! (sticks tongue out) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Re: Wynn room, I simply had totally wrongheaded expectations. From what I saw, it *is* the best looking room in Vegas, barring some of the really high end semi private spaces, and although its unfair of me to rip on them for not living up to my fantasy, I would certainly have preferred the law library motif with fewer frat boys railbirding me while their girlfriends went to pick up their comped tickets to Spamalot, so bitch I shall as its cheaper than therapy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were on the rail? The 15-30 games are normally in the back middle of the room where the only railers are three 30-60 players waiting for their game to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

the 8-16 was on the rail by the ferrari dealership.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
his "witticisms" werent witty or funny,

[/ QUOTE ]

WERE TOOOOO! (sticks tongue out) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

BOOM, HEADSHOT!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:07 PM

While I, too, cringed at some of the play, I greatly enjoyed the report... could have used a little less of the 'rape' motif, though.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was a fine trip report, filled with witticisms the likes of which are rarely seen here. OP plumb done hisself a way excellent job.

[/ QUOTE ]

his "witticisms" werent witty or funny, and the bulk of the content consisted of poor discriptions of the other players. you know what they say about taste?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one of them were you?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:55 PM

Swope - Haven't read the whole thing yet or all the comments ... but you're reads aren't all that accurate. Was good playing with you. It was a very interesting table. Can't read it all now - but I'll digest later and comment. I was the middle age aggressive white guy. Looking forward to hearing more about this game. Cheers!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Swope - Haven't read the whole thing yet or all the comments ... but you're reads aren't all that accurate. Was good playing with you. It was a very interesting table. Can't read it all now - but I'll digest later and comment. I was the middle age aggressive white guy. Looking forward to hearing more about this game. Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhhh you were the gentleman at the wynn on friday night?

it was a pleasure playing with you if so, thanks for the feedback on my reads. against you i had none really, i was very happy to stay out of your pots whenever possible [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i have no doubt there is a lot i could learn from your play and your opinions on mine, so please feel free to wack me with a cluestick as you see fit.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:37 AM

No wacking with a cluestick by me. I think we're probably both on the same level. And I don't presume that my reads were "better" just different. After all, I had been at the table since 5 pm (yes, the Fri. night 15/30 session) and had a much longer time to form a (different) opinion.

After reading your trip report it makes more sense now - but at the time I "read" you as being very uncomfortable, possibly higher than normal stakes and tired and strung out (just "off" a little). When you sat down I didn't figure you to be at your best. And then after you had played some you seemed to be slightly steaming and frustrated. More on that later.

The chubby young kid to my left (seat 2) was really tight and could defintely lay down a hand. He had come from the 30/60 game and been beat on fairly consistently. He was down and feeling it - playing cautiously (for the most part) and not with a lot of confidence. The (your) thin asion (transgender) lady in the 4 seat was the tightest player at the table. She was only (very usually) playing premium hands. Large Marge had played pretty tight most of the night and aggressive in position - she had taken some bad suckouts earlier and had begun to steam herself. You were accurate about the rest and dead on about the winner at the table sitting in the 10 seat. You managed to sit down with only one other tourist at the table (me). No question, the table was the tightest and toughest, I played at all weekend. All the others were regulars, who play a lot and knew each other. We were definetly at a disadvantage.

So you sit down at what had been a tough, very tight table - looking uncomfortable; I've got 3 tight players to my left; we're starting to get into the realm of shorthanded and (not that I that comfortable with shorthanded myself) I figured really turning up the aggression myself was a good thing. To that point I had a reasonable (not great) table image and thought I could take advantage of it. You walked into a bit of a mine field in a sense - chubby boy was tilty, Large Marge was tired of being pushed around and steaming and everyone else was just plain aggressive.

I honestly believe that Large Marge misread her hand, forgot, whatever - I took her apology as being genuine. To finish her story - I raised UTG or UTG+1 with K,K, she three bet on the button with A,J suited and I 4-bet putting her all in, taking her out of the game.

I apprecaite your kind words. It was a pleasure playing with you as well. I'll read the rest at a later date, but wanted to respond. It was a fun but difficult table playing against the regulars.

I have a terrible memory, but that's what I recall. Just some differences based on being at the table longer.

Cheers!