Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Going camping for the first time, suggestions on what to bring/do/eat

Going on Sunday with my girlfriend for her birthday (on her suggestion) in Devil's Lake Wisconsin. I have never been, nor ever thought about camping.

So far I know to bring a tent, sleeping bag, bug repellant, and a cooler. I know there's gotta be more to it than that. Also, I don't know what to bring to eat, as in my mind I'd have to build a fire boyscout style to actually eat a meal, and I have no idea how to, so suggestions there are appreciated. I think we're mostly going to be just walking around (hiking I guess) but suggestions on what campers do for fun would be great also.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Going camping for the first time, suggestions on what to bring/do/eat

[ QUOTE ]
suggestions on what campers do for fun would be great also.

[/ QUOTE ]

SIIHP
Old 08-18-2006, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Going camping for the first time, suggestions on what to bring/do/

walking or Hiking? how much walking do you do in regular life? Wicking socks are great for keeping your feet dry and help to prevent blisters. If you can boil water and are lazy about cooking freeze dried food like Mountain House is pretty good. You only need a spoon or fork and boiling water which you poor directly into the bag. HOt dogs and canned chili are other camping stand bys for me.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
suggestions on what campers do for fun would be great also.

[/ QUOTE ]

SIIHP

[/ QUOTE ]

To preempt this being quoted a million times: yes ok thanks I'll try to remember to have sex, any suggestions besides that?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:46 PM

Bring a gun.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Going camping for the first time, suggestions on what to bring/do/eat

It sounds like you guys are doing the car-based type of camping, as opposed to more serious backpacking stuff, correct? If that's the case there really isn't that much to it, honestly. Make sure there aren't fire bans in place where you're going, and if not just bring a cooler with some hot dogs or something. Corn wrapped in foil makes for a great grilling food, and you can bring stuff to make smores etc too. Check the weather forecast before you go, be sure to bring some rain gear if there is any possible chance of bad weather.

Other than that, just have fun and stuff.

Swede
Old 08-18-2006, 12:50 PM

Eggs, chorizo, papas, meat, BEER and one of these...

as a side note, I am the best open-fire cooker in the world. I know, I know...not surprising. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2006, 12:52 PM

where are you sleeping? in lean-to's or on the ground?

will there be charcoal grills or pits?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:52 PM

1) bring a mat to put under your sleeping bag. Before you put up the tent, be sure to clear the ground you ar putting it on of all sticks/rocks/etc. or it will make your evening unpleasant.

2) if you are going to build a fire, fine. A little grill with legs will fo (like the top of a BBQ with legs on it). but i suggest not making anything too complicated. Maybe even just having sandwiches etc. Building a fire to cook on is a bit more annoying than you think sometimes. I have camped a lot and when lazy i'll just bring some bread, meats, then like muffins or something for breakfast. If you don't know how/have never made a fire let me know.

3) bring stuff to put a lot of water in.

4) Booze is a must.

5) Dispose of your garbage. Don't leave it by your tent or something or you will wake up with the garbage all over the place and mother nature will hate you.

That's all off the top of my head
Old 08-18-2006, 12:55 PM

Oh yeah, foil cooking! You can just take like a hamburger patty, rip it into pieces, cut up some carrots, potatoes, lotsa onions, maybe celery and peppers, whatever else you want, put it in tinfoil (like 2 layers) and throw that right into the fire. Poke it out with a stick later and eat it. It's really good.

I do it to cook vegetables on the BBQ all the time, even at home. I have many an excellent recipe for any interested.