Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2006, 02:09 PM

Default How Should I Have Played This Hand?

Multi Table Tournament Final Table
Blinds are 200 - 400 with 50 Blinds
This was the first hand after combining the final two tables. I have 4500 in chips (around 6th at the table). I'm first to act and find myself with KK. I make it 1500 to go. It's folded around to seat someone in middle position who goes all in for about 4400. Then it's folded around to the button who goes all in (who has me covered). I don't know how the first person who went all in plays because he's new to the table. The second all in was fairly solid. I ended up calling, even though my guts told me I was beat. In fact, as I called and flipped my cards over, I said," I call, who's got the bullets?". The first all in flips over AJ suited, and the second all in shows AA. The board doesn't improve me and I get bounced in 9th place.
As I was replaying the hand to friends of mine, I explained to them that I felt if I were a better player I might have been able to lay it down.
Did I misplay this hand? Should have I been able to get away from this hand? Any insight is welcome, thanks.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Re: How Should I Have Played This Hand?

your initial raise was a bit big.

folding here would be awful. unlucky that you ran into aces.

would you have made this thread if he had two jacks?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:50 PM

The raise was a little bit bigger than 3x the big blind. I probably wouldn't write this thread if they were Jacks, true, and if I loss then, I'd chalk it up to a bad beat. The ultimate question is could I have (or anyone) possibly gotten away from the hand under the circumstances?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:14 PM

With the blinds becoming so large in comparison to the stack sizes you don't need to raise so much. In this case you really want some action with your KK so I'd make it 1000. And to your ultimate question, no one should ever get away from KK in this spot. Stop beating yourself up about him having AA.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:17 PM

I would have pushed with the KKs and not even bothered with the raise like you did. I mean if they are going to call 1500 won't they call 4500. You are leaving yourself 7BBs basically. What were you doing to do on the flop?

Just push and let it what happens happen. If I were at your table I would think that you are committed to this pot from your position and size of your raise, so you might as well push, you are not fooling anybody.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:18 PM

How many of these threads am I gonna have to read every month?

Don't fold KK preflop, I never have, prob never will.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many of these threads am I gonna have to read every month?

Don't fold KK preflop, I never have, prob never will.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are times and places to fold KK preflop. Although this is obviously not one of them. Stacks are way too short. However when stacks start to get deeper, there's obviously situations where KK should be folded.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:41 PM

I agree with the preflop push. If you are just called, you've reduced what little fold equity you have on later streets. If you aren't going to fold this hand, may as well get 'em all in now and give yourself the best chance to take it down. You don't have enough ammunition to actually "play" this hand post-flop.

If I catch this hand with $4500 and a cost of $1050 per round (200-400 blinds, 50 ante, assuming a 9-person table), this is an auto-push.