Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Re: What\'s my responsibility?

[ QUOTE ]
This is an EXTREMELY important detail IMO. It's a little bit tricky but I think this gives you a lot more flexibility in what you can reasonably do to make him stop. Granted, if you were just a landlord I'd say let him do what he wants then kick him out if he can't make his payments, but obviously there are different implicit arrangements here given that you're friends. I don't think it would be that inappropriate to just unplug his computer or something. Better yet, if you have a router at your place just unplug that. He'll probably thank you in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Woodside's comments, but I'll add:

Tolbiny, are you sure you are not overreacting? It is only the 21st of the month. You should have a bit of grace period for the rent. Are you saying, he can’t come up with the money, even if he go’s broke, between now and then? If this isn’t a habit of his, then don’t worry. Be prepared to pay the rent yourself if necessary and make him pay you back.

If this is an ongoing habit ( and you should know, because he’ll constantly be in trouble from borrowing from multiple people, not paying bills, pawning possessions, etc ) then don’t worry. One months rent is the least thing to worry about. Cut your losses when he doesn't pay you rent, and boot him out of your apartment and life.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Re: What\'s my responsibility?

[ QUOTE ]

My roomate (victor) is playing a game he never plays at high stakes. Obviously he's been drinking and losing all night. I have told him he's an idiot for playing, how much further should i go to stop him from playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to help him you want to find out what the deeper problem is.