Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Dear uNL: You are not good enough

Dear uNL;

You are not good enough to raise JTs UTG. You don't play well enough to raise KTo in MP or suited junk OTB. You don't need to play 30/20 to beat 50NL.

You are not sbrugby; do not 3bet TAGs "light" w/ 97s.

Do not raise these hands; create a big preflop pot; cbet the flop w/ your TPGK and/or air, and then ask what to do on the turn when called with the pot you bloated with a mediocre hand.

Do not answer "This is standard for me..." because it probably shouldn't be.

Just fold. FOLD. You can fold mediocre hands and beat 25NL/50NL.

"But --" No, just fold.

You just aren't good enough yet and raising all these hands is costing you money.

Feel free to tell me how you are in fact good enough, how I suck at poker (probably true; I don't care), and don't know what I'm talking about...

But think about this post when you are staring at QJo in MP. Do you know what you are going to do if you flop MP? If you flop Q74 and get action? If you flop J92 2flushed and get check minraised? Can you answer these questions depending on if the player is tight/loose/aggressive/passive? If they have a 150/100/70/50/30 BB stack? Can you think about all this, put them on a range and calculate your equity of your mediocre hand OOP and then make a profitable decision?

IMO, uNL you're just not good enough.

Yet.

/flame on

CLIFFS NOTES: FOLD MEDIOCRE HANDS PREFLOP BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY THEM POSTFLOP WHEN YOU GET ACTION AND IT COSTS YOU MONEY.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Dear uNL: You are not good enough

This is honestly one of the best posts I have read all year.

I seriously love you man. Everyone needs to read this shizzle.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Mods sticky pls!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM

I pretty much agree with this. You can follow around 85/10's all day and kill these games without doing anything except incredibly simple ABC poker.

[ QUOTE ]
CLIFFS NOTES: FOLD MEDIOCRE HANDS PREFLOP BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY THEM POSTFLOP WHEN YOU GET ACTION AND IT COSTS YOU MONEY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will let PokerTracker be the judge of that.

EDIT: It turns out you are right.

Ah some people here maybe could raise JTs UTG. Myself, I draw the line at KQs usually.

Some people also probably could raise KTo in MP though again I usually wait for CO, but I'd raise it in MP if it were suited.

I usually don't raise anything more than a suited 3 gapper on the button although there are people here who are good enough to raise suited junk on the button against the right blinds. I remember one table where I raised ATC if it folded to me on the button.

And depending on position 3betting a lot of TAG's with 97s is pretty standard for me.

I fold QJo in MP almost always, but raise if it were suited and raise QJo on CO.

Good thought though and nice cliff notes. Definitely applicable to a lot of people.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:29 PM

QFMFT

(without the quote)
Old 09-04-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah some people here maybe could raise JTs UTG. Myself, I draw the line at KQs usually.

Some people also probably could raise KTo in MP though again I usually wait for CO, but I'd raise it in MP if it were suited.

I usually don't raise anything more than a suited 3 gapper on the button although there are people here who are good enough to raise suited junk on the button against the right blinds. I remember one table where I raised ATC if it folded to me on the button.

And depending on position 3betting a lot of TAG's with 97s is pretty standard for me.

I fold QJo in MP almost always, but raise if it were suited and raise QJo on CO.

Good thought though and nice cliff notes. Definitely applicable to a lot of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've missed the point there sir.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've missed the point there sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah I got it. Just saying those examples he picked are kinda borderline and for some people even in unl could swing the other way.....and I see people raising more mediocre hands in worse position when they aren't good enough to play it post-flop.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:33 PM

kinda depends on ur goals tho. some people arent playin 50nl to kill the 50nl games for as much possible. some people want to get better and move up limits and such. u cant beat 200nl playin 15 13 2.5. while this is correct for the person who just wants to beat 50nl and run at like 5 or 6 bb/100. but long term i think ur post is -ev
Old 09-04-2007, 02:33 PM

The whole point of playing those hands is to learn how to play post flop. What's the point of playing robotic hudbot, formulaic opening poker if you never develop the skills to play postflop. I'd most likely kill myself from the boredom alone.
Closed Thread