Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Stud 8, Probably an Insanely Easy 3rd St Question

I'm an experienced hold'em player who's pretty new to Stud & Stud 8, mostly just having played them during mixed games. After doing pretty well in the Stud8 fantasy freeroll tourney on FTP the other night, I decided to try out the microlimit cash games yesterday & had this hand come up. I don't even have PT Stud, so forgive me for any formatting errors as I'm doing this by hand.

Seat 1 is absolutely horrible, even for these stakes. His completing & capping range on 3rd street are the same: any pair or better, any 3 suited, or any 3 low. Seat 4 is a calling station extraordinaire; him calling the completion just means that he has 3 cards. Seat 5 is short-stacked & probably intends to get it all in with a starting pair or 3 big cards. Seat 6 has looked fairly decent & probably does have at least a pair of jacks with solid kicker. Seat 8 has also looked pretty solid & probably isn't continuing with any hand he wouldn't have open-completed with.

Hero's image, as much as one can exist at these limits, is strong. I'm playing pretty tight and only entering pots with a completion/raise or behind several callers. The decent players at the table are generally getting out of my way. This kind of 3rd street action was completely foreign at the table; the only 3rd street raises so far had been isolation plays on Seat 1, and they'd all worked; most hands just consisted of the bring-in and several callers, or else Seat 1 completing and several callers.

7 Card Stud Hi/lo (.25/.50), Ante .05, Bring-in .10

Seat 1: $13.45
Seat 2: $15.05
Seat 3: $4.75
Seat 4: $4.15
Seat 5: $1.35
Seat 6: $9.85
Hero: $22.65
Seat 8: $6.30

3rd Street - (0.8 BB)
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___ brings-in
Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___ completes
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___ folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___ folds
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___ calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___ raises
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___ raises
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___?

So, given that everyone else in the pot is likely going high and the fact that my cards are pretty clean, is this hand worth playing? And if so, call 3 or cap? It probably doesn't matter if I'm not folding, as Seat 1 is likely to cap it anyway.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Stud 8, Probably an Insanely Easy 3rd St Question

Yes, call. I'd cap if you had an ace in your hand but you don't need to pay any more here than necessary but this is a dream spot if you catch well on 4th.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-27-2007, 08:47 PM

I would reraise 3rd. This only occurs at microbuyins, with so many people playing high hands for a raise.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:00 PM

Cool...playing the hand seemed right at the time but then I had second thoughts after. I did cap it on 3rd fwiw.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:07 AM

Cap, but if it was real stakes where one of the guys might drop out I would just call.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cap, but if it was real stakes where one of the guys might drop out I would just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Along those lines...would there be any wisdom in capping, in order to give seat 8 added incentive to fold? Or would just calling three be enough to get a decent player to fold anything but a very good 3 low?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:57 AM

I'd probably call, but I think it's kinda close. Bear in mind that there's no reason that the bring-in can't have a three-card low.