Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: $5k HU sng im lost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok since i think this is an interesting hand, and the concensus seems to be call and re-eval river what do we do on following 4 rivers?

board is 567cAc and theres 1244 in pot

a) Js
b) As
c)2h
d)8h

[/ QUOTE ]

What about all the other cards? When calling the turn, river is not going to be ABCD where you can make argument about calling A and B. It will be A or B very rarely, and blocking / check-calling 2h or 3s or Kd is gonna be profitable like never. You are basically betting that villain has a pair less than Ace and will check behind. Why would he setup a turn check-raise for you with a small pair?

Hence turn call is not +EV in a vacuum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am i right if i conclude you've read more pokerbookpages and posts on pokerforums, than you've played hands on the internet?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:31 PM

No, I actually don't think books / forum reading is very effective in poker b.c. they make the game too technical(books more than forums b.c. its only 1 voice), which creates false illusions. At the same time, writing an analysis in MS Word or on a forum is a good cleansing mechanism for when your "feel" becomes temporarily flawed. Feel is very reflexive and relative, at least for me, and always must be readjusted with technical corrections to keep pace with the reflexivity.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 PM

Good overall answer. But:

[ QUOTE ]
Feel is very reflexive and relative, at least for me, and always must be readjusted with technical corrections to keep pace with the reflexivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how can you write that a flop call always will be -EV in these situations, and then this?

Poker is, as you say, often about feel. I'll give you 2 examples on hands i've played the last few days. They look weird, but are quite standard from time to time and maybe go against what seems to be "good" poker in an analytical perspective, but can be good:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1042500
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1038982

I hope they will help illustrate my point. They are both played very short into the SnG's and i've never played any of them before.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:54 AM

1000 out there and he has 900 behind. no one wants to crai on this turn?

fwiw, i don't like c/c because it defines your hand as medium strength. most medium strength hands will not be able to call most rivers, so he can be pretty sure that a bluff is profitable

if you do c/c, it's because you put him on a better hand or think he will bluff the river a lot so i'd

a)crai
b)c/c
c)c/f
d)push
Old 05-02-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good overall answer. But:

[ QUOTE ]
Feel is very reflexive and relative, at least for me, and always must be readjusted with technical corrections to keep pace with the reflexivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how can you write that a flop call always will be -EV in these situations, and then this?

Poker is, as you say, often about feel. I'll give you 2 examples on hands i've played the last few days. They look weird, but are quite standard from time to time and maybe go against what seems to be "good" poker in an analytical perspective, but can be good:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1042500
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1038982

I hope they will help illustrate my point. They are both played very short into the SnG's and i've never played any of them before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of those example hands look good to me.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:32 PM

lol I think you have enough pride for the both of us bbj, I'll pass
Old 05-15-2007, 01:57 PM

a) lead out for 1/3 pot, and re-raise if raised.

b) block bet 1/3 to 1/4 pot

c) same as b

d) shove and pray [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]