Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Dear uNL: You are not good enough

The point is this:

uNL needs to focus on learning how to play ABC TAG poker in the 95% of the hands they play where things proceed normally instead of worrying about the DEFGH plays they can be making in the other 5% of the hands they can possibly be playing.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point is this:

uNL needs to focus on learning how to play ABC TAG poker in the 95% of the hands they play where things proceed normally instead of worrying about the DEFGH plays they can be making in the other 5% of the hands they can possibly be playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFTTTTT
Old 09-04-2007, 04:36 PM

wtfever i sho profit w/ 53o rasin utg and MP
Old 09-04-2007, 04:37 PM

I am in total agreement with this post. When I started playing strictly cash about 6 months ago, I was raising QJs, QJo types of hands preflop UTG and I would either win a small amount or lose a big. I cut all those hands out and I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:55 PM

I agree with the poster in that many micro no limiters see a hand like AJo or KTs and think raise because this is "standard" and it will get their PFR up. However, they don't stop to examine stack sizes, position, stats of other players behind them ETC. before they make EVERY DECISION AT THE TABLE. Sometimes I will open raise a Q5o from the cutoff if the guys behind me are running like nits etc. Do I do this often? NO i do this once every 100 times when the situation is right. Poker is situational and there really is no standard play ever. If there was then we would all get bored of this game and move on to something else. It is not that opening up your range is not profitable, it is that most micro players (including myself most of the time) go on autopilot and don't pay enough attention to WHEN the situation is right to open up.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:58 PM

Also, people put too much emphasis on stats and I'm really sick of it. People are like "well i wanna run 22/18 etc" like that kind of crap is going to solve their winrate issues. Chances are, if you can't beat uNL running 15/13 or 18/16 then you have MAJOR leaks in your game. You must fix these leaks before you open up your range or you will just spew more chips!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point is this:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding ding...no wonder youre one of those moderator guys [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The other thing that people dont realize is that most of the guys who play very loose preflop generally have a) sick hand reading skills and b) pick up on their opponents pretty rapidly because of the pressure they put on them. Do some of the guys here have those or the potential to develop those? Sure, but uNL is where you need to perfect your ABC poker.

As far as winning stats at higher limits, the ones posted are more than enough to beat those limits. TAG does not mean weak tight nit...the A does stand for aggressive.

The two major things you should be getting out of uNL are:

1) increasing your roll
2) playing ABC poker until it is second nature to you.

PS I should say that I dont think you should never tinker with your game in uNL but most of the time you should concentrate on solid, smart, aggressive poker. For those that say it is cheaper to lose money experimenting at lower limits I will say this: Quit thinking in absolute terms and be aware that there are still plenty of donks at the higher limits and you will have to learn to adjust your game against them.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:34 PM

I adjust what I open with based on opponents at the table and what I think I can get away with. Sometimes I can get as loose as 38/30 on a table and quite a few times I find myself around 17/15. Overall I am around 20/17. Doesn't matter to me what I open in terms of the cards in my hands. What does matter is how I think my opponents play and how much I think I can gain from opening a hand like JTs UTG. Today for example I was at two NL10 tables where I wouldn't even open with KTo from CO and one of the three tables I was at I was able to open ATC on button if folded to me because the two in the blinds weren't calling anyway. Even if they did they going to fold more then call.

Summary: Opening up for me has nothing to do with what hand I got in what position but more to do with how my opponents are playing and what I feel I can get them to do postflop and how much I think I can profit.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those that say it is cheaper to lose money experimenting at lower limits I will say this: Quit thinking in absolute terms and be aware that there are still plenty of donks at the higher limits and you will have to learn to adjust your game against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

QUOTE OF THE YEAR

GOD I LOVE THIS THREAD
Old 09-04-2007, 05:55 PM
 is offline

can only agree with everybody else.
Closed Thread