Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 10:35 AM

Default No Limit Hold\'em: Theory and Practice

I just brought the book, did anyone read this? any insights? Is this a good book for cash game or tourneys?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: No Limit Hold\'em: Theory and Practice

Generally, it's an excellent book. It mostly addresses cash game play, but there are some tournament concepts explored. I particularly enjoyed the last 70 pages or so covering ~60 key concepts.

Here is Matt Flynn's review of NLTAP and comparison to PNL:

"Hi Mizzmazz,

NLHT&P is a series of ideas about the game. The first half is primarily for less experienced players, the second half more food for thought for pros. The 60 concepts [at the end of the book] should be mandatory reading. They comprise a good test of how well you understand the game.

PNL1 is a hands-on practical approach: here's what you need to think about, here are examples, here's how you do it. We wrote it for aspiring pros.

Matt"
Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Very good book. Gets pretty technical at times, but definitely worth a read or two.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:24 PM

I was recommended this book for cash games. I've just bought it, but haven't started yet [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2007, 02:39 PM

It's worth your time, but PNL is a MUCH easier read.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 PM

I think it is a very good book. I look at it like TOP. It really has all the theoretical information you will ever need but it doesn't try to give a whole bunch of practical examples. This is not to say that other books wouldn't help you mature faster but I think with enough rereading, practice, and work this could be the only book you would need. It has all the information it just leaves it up to the reader on how to apply it. However, most of us are lesser mortals and reading other books do help because they may have a more hands on approach of showing us how to apply it.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:44 PM

The book is definitely geared to cash play. It never was or is intended for tourney play.
This book combined with PNL for the TRULY aspiring player is a dynamic cash game combo.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It never was or is intended for tourney play.

[/ QUOTE ]The book states that it is applicable for both cash and tournament play and it is. It's just that a lot of the deeper stacked discussions don't usually apply to tournaments (because you are so often playing short). That doesn't make the book non-useful for tournament players. It certainly helped out my tournament game loads before I converted to cash.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It never was or is intended for tourney play.

[/ QUOTE ]The book states that it is applicable for both cash and tournament play and it is. It's just that a lot of the deeper stacked discussions don't usually apply to tournaments (because you are so often playing short). That doesn't make the book non-useful for tournament players. It certainly helped out my tournament game loads before I converted to cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes there are very minor discussions toward tourney play. but not of any great significance [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2007, 09:51 AM

I found the "Preflop All in and Call" section the single most useful chapter for tournament play in any book I have read.
I would say its a very significant book for tournaments.