Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: 20k foot view of school shooting

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck finding professors to teach in a college happy-gun environment. I've been in the academic field for many years now, and I know exactly ZERO who would do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Paging Borodog. Borodog, please report to the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borodog is a pretty rare exception I think in this regard. First, hes not a professor. Most professors are going to be extreme leftists and are terrified of guns. I think sirio is right on that most acedemic types would not want to teach in such a place.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many college professors do you know? While I think that it has been shown that a majority of college professors identify themselves as liberals and Democrats, I think to say that they are "extreme leftists" and "afraid of guns" is pretty ridiculous. I think most professors (and students, probably depending a little on the region of the country), would oppose letting guns onto campuses, they are going to work wherever they have a job,and I'm guessing like maybe 5% would quit in protest or whatever if guns were allowed on campuses.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:35 AM

nt
Old 04-19-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

heck the last time there was a uni shooting in virginia I think it was, a student or a couple of students stopped it. as soon as the "crazed" gunman was confronted by a nonvictim with a gun he gave up.

[/ QUOTE ]

references pls/thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Most professors are going to be extreme leftists and are terrified of guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

evidence to support this pls/thanks
Old 04-19-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck finding professors to teach in a college happy-gun environment. I've been in the academic field for many years now, and I know exactly ZERO who would do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Paging Borodog. Borodog, please report to the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borodog is a pretty rare exception I think in this regard. First, hes not a professor. Most professors are going to be extreme leftists and are terrified of guns. I think sirio is right on that most acedemic types would not want to teach in such a place.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many college professors do you know? While I think that it has been shown that a majority of college professors identify themselves as liberals and Democrats, I think to say that they are "extreme leftists" and "afraid of guns" is pretty ridiculous. I think most professors (and students, probably depending a little on the region of the country), would oppose letting guns onto campuses, they are going to work wherever they have a job,and I'm guessing like maybe 5% would quit in protest or whatever if guns were allowed on campuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that they would quit, they would go to campuses that banned guns. Or new ones would be less likely to start there. Even 5% turnover is fairly significant. The percentage of the extreme leftists is considerably higher than the public (at least 10x), especially in any social science or humanties department. Of course, engineering and hard sciences are less likely to be as extreme. But even sirio is a math prof, and is further left than about 99% of the country.

In my expirience, every single professor I had outside of hard sciences was further left than 90% of the country. The other professors I had never mentioned politics (except one Math professor who refused to teach when there was a cafeteria workers strike).

Who knows if they would refuse to work there. It certainly wouldn't be a good policy for recruiting new people.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

evidence to support this pls/thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Personal experience and any study regarding voting patterns of professors.

I'm not providing a Harvard study every time I make ANY statement on here.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not that they would quit, they would go to campuses that banned guns. Or new ones would be less likely to start there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point.

I guess depending on exactly what the exactly regulations would be though, I think that having guns on campuses might have a similar trend on students not wanting to attend that school.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not that they would quit, they would go to campuses that banned guns. Or new ones would be less likely to start there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point.

I guess depending on exactly what the exactly regulations would be though, I think that having guns on campuses might have a similar trend on students not wanting to attend that school.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I taught at a school where students could bring guns to class, I'd make sure to grade easier and not joke around with students.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

heck the last time there was a uni shooting in virginia I think it was, a student or a couple of students stopped it. as soon as the "crazed" gunman was confronted by a nonvictim with a gun he gave up.

[/ QUOTE ]

references pls/thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually did happen (see other threads, HeavilyArmed has a huge hardon about it). Though witness accounts did differ as to whether the suspect had already been stopped before or after the people with guns showed up.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I thought of him, but I don't know him. I'm pretty sure you can find some in the whole country, but not enough. I just don't think it's practical to allow guns on campuses. It just creates way many more problems than those who supposedly solves.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're claiming that every university in the country has a special provision that bans concealed carry permit holders from excercising their concealed carry permit on campus?

I'd be willing to wager that you are incorrect.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Arming people to stop gun crime is like starting a war to create peace. It will never work.

[/ QUOTE ]