Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Anyone put thought into buying Nintendo stock?

With the PS3s no doubt going to be a let down and the Wii potentially being the most popular system of the 3, has anyone cosindered putting some money into nintendo (NTDOY) stock? It seems like a no-brainer that it will shoot up quite a bit withen the next few months.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Anyone put thought into buying Nintendo stock?

[ QUOTE ]
With the PS3s no doubt going to be a let down and the Wii potentially being the most popular system of the 3, has anyone cosindered putting some money into nintendo (NTDOY) stock? It seems like a no-brainer that it will shoot up quite a bit withen the next few months.

What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no such thing as a no-brainer that a stock will rise, otherwise it would have already risen.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:08 PM

Why is the PS3 no dobut going to be a let down?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is the PS3 no dobut going to be a let down?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming just from the random stuff i've heard (i.e. ppl leaving PS3 area to play Wii at E3 convention, PS3s giving out more pre orders than they can handle, costing 600 dollars).
Old 10-17-2006, 07:28 PM

Hawk, first thing, you'd need a stronger argument than that to say that PS3 for sure is going to be a let down. I love Nintendo systems as much as everyone else (preordered my Wii already), but I personally see PS3 doing better than the Wii. I could be completely wrong though, but my point is that it's just speculation. Secondly, as Kovner stated, if NTDOY was so obviously going to shoot up, then that would've already been factored into the price. I'd say in general buying stock because a new videogame system is coming out is a pretty poor idea, considering that everyone and their mother knows about it.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:29 AM

Kovner and Dazarath are correct.

Buying Nintendo stock would be gambling. In poker, you should be asking yourself what your edge is. Is it that you know more about starting hand selection than your opponents? Is it that you know more about odds than your opponents? Similarly, in investing you should ask the same questions. Where is your edge in buying Nintendo? What do you know that other market participants don't?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I own NTDOY, so I like it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2006, 05:18 PM

I don't know too much about the stock, but I know about the company. For the past 10 or so years they've been getting their asses kicked by sony in the console department. In the previous console generation, their gamecube was far less popular than both the Xbox and PS2. All indications seem to be that if the Wii doesn't go well, Nintendo will drop out of the console market and become a 3rd party game maker ala Sega.

After a glance at the chart, it looks like Nintendo has gone up quite a bit this year. Looks like Wii expectations have given the stock quite a bit of a lift.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:26 PM

The fund I am at trades Japan.

Your thinking is a bit late to put on this trade. Both hedgies and long only shops have been falling all over themselves after E3 to go long 7974.

The Wii was getting way outhyped and everyone expecting PS3 to have a lot more problems. Not to mention the amazing sales of the DS. The easy money has already been made. Nintendo is trading near all time highs in Japan so a lot of resistance around here. I still like Nintendo and think the Wii has a bright future(despite concerns of arm/hand injuries and tiredness from constantly using motion control and the fact that Nintendo's Wii is probably going to take away potential DS sales) but I don't think right now presents a good risk/reward trade on it.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude everything you mentioned in already priced in.