Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Pre flop raising question

My stats are currently around 14/3.8/3.5 I currently have been playing NL10 moving from Limit poker last month. (See below for why my pf raising is lower)

I feel I play a tight game pf but I have a problem... I seem to play close to what starting charts suggest and I understand the reasons for the suggestions. But these charts were written for average+ games I assume and my problem is I am a little lost when it comes to how to raise in a microlimit game.

I see people with stats like 20/10 and I have no idea how this could work at a level like .05/.10. You will get callers and you will get called down by junk so it seems our cbets when we miss the flop (and we will alot raising 10% of the time) will get no respect and we are just throwing money away.

My strategy for NL10 has been to get in cheaply in as many pots as I can with hands like PP's (JJ or lower), SC and Axs, and I have been avioiding easily dominated hands like ATos unless it's folded to me on the button or something. I do understand why I would raise with JJ or TT but when I get callers (and I will) and overcards comes > 50% of the time it becomes hard to know when they are calling because they have you beat vs calling because they are donks. If I cbet the flop and check the turn, I am just asking for a raise I can't call. This is why I have switched to set mining with them.

Any thoughts on adjusting strategy to NL10 games is appreciated. FTP seems to be a good mix of idiots, tricky players and tight players trying to clear the bonus.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Pre flop raising question

I think your strategy is fine for NL10 (and I've played 10k hands there). Really - loose games call for tight play; tight games can have you stealing blinds more loosely.

As long as you get callers most of the times when you have QQ+ and those callers are not set hunters who only stack you when they hit you are fine.

Just keep in mind to adapt if you get to a tighter table.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Pre flop raising question

There are others who will explain this far better than me.
However, as a general rule, if you are generally getting too many callers with premium hands, raise more. Too many callers is more than one.

You want one opponent only. A raise of 4x the big blind is standard (I apologise if I'm saying things you know), but at NL10 they'll generally call more. Raising 8x the big blind with AA is poor poker...unless it gets called. 6x should be enough to freak people out.

Sometimes you'll get no callers at all - think of this as a risk free win rather than a failure. Of course if nobody ever calls, you need to reduce your bets.