Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Update from the PPA

This has been an exciting week for poker and I have several items of good news to report.

First, I am pleased to announce that Rep. John Conyers (MI) Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee has agreed to co-sponsor H.R. 2046, the Skill Game Protection Act. Further, his Committee officially announced today that they are holding a hearing next week (Nov. 14th) to discuss Internet gaming issues. Both of these considerable achievements can be in a large part credited to our grassroots fly-in from just two weeks ago. During the fly-in we had more than one occasion to meet with the Chairman and explain our issues. He was so impressed with our arguments that he asked Annie Duke to testify at the Committee hearing. While the other witnesses have not been made public at this time, I can tell you that there will be experts to discuss the WTO, age-verification, the proposed regulations and problem gambling. Click Here for more info on the hearing, we encourage our members who live in the Washington, D.C. area to attend.

Next, I would like to discuss some of our grassroots success. Last Friday the PPA sent a note to our members in the state encouraging them to write the Governor to oppose the state gambling bill language which would criminalize residents for playing Internet poker. With the hard work and leadership of Randy C (our PPA MA state rep) more than 1700 letters have been sent to State Reps, State Senators and the Governor in less than a week. This voice has been heard and recognized by these legislators, and they understand that this voice will not go away until the onerous provision is removed. Randy C will continue to update you on the progress of this campaign.

The PPA can also claim success in the defeat of Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher, whose staunch anti-gambling position, as well as a host of other issues lead to his crushing double-digit defeat. The PPA’s efforts were highlighted in a Louisville Courier Journal column on the day before the election (Nov 5th) and the Governors staff acknowledged that they has received several calls, letters and emails from PPA members expressing their displeasure. Special thanks to TheEngineer for being instrumental in the organization of our effort.

On the regulation front, the Center for Regulatory Effectiveness (CRE), an independent organization that regularly offers Congress objective analysis of proposed governmental agency regulations, released a report this week that noted significant problems with the UIGEA regulations recently submitted by the Treasury Department. They are extremely influential in Washington regulatory circles and the PPA is pleased with their enlightened view of the onerous regulation. Their filing can be found here

On the media front, the WTO issue is beginning to crystallize on Capitol Hill. This week two articles of note appeared, one in The Bureau of National Affairs here and the other in Roll Call here. Both articles specifically call for the Barney Frank Bill as a fix to one of the most daunting cases the WTO has ever faced … a case which could have far reaching and unintended consequences for the U.S. These articles were especially important as lead EU trade officials were here in DC this week to discuss this very issue! We are doing our very best to make sure members of Congress are aware of what is going on, and just how important this case could become.

On Tuesday night this week, Horton's Kid's a local DC charity that helps inner city kids, threw a Charity poker tournament at the National Building Museum, and it was a rousing success. With the PPA as its largest supporting donor for the event, Horton's Holiday Hold ‘Em event raised $300,000 all of which goes directly to the charity. More than 220 Congressional staff, members of Congress, lobbyists and poker enthusiasts had a great time playing poker with PPA Board Member Greg Raymer and Chairman Alfonse D’Amato. It was a great event which once again highlighted the unique power of poker. As an added bonus, a PPA member from DC won the event and received a $10,000 2008 WSOP ME seat for his efforts.

This has been another exciting week for poker, with hopefully many more to come. Like previous posters have said, getting a piece of legislation overturned is always an uphill battle. Getting perceived gambling legislation passed will always have a myriad of competent opponents. But our position is strong and only getting stronger, and this is a fight we will not give up on.

Bryan Spadaro
Membership Relations, Manager
Poker Players Alliance
Old 11-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Update from the PPA

Bryan, I posted in another thread about the PPA's stance on the IGREA. I'm not going to retype the whole post. But I will reiterate my suggestion. The PPA needs to stop pushing the IGREA as a solution or compliance with the WTO decisions because it does not, in any way comply, with the WTO decision.
Also, it would be helpful if you read all the threads before you post news. You will usually find a thread already started on the news and can post in that thread. This one is one your information http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post12866224
Old 11-08-2007, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the great news Bryan. That's awesome. Having Conyers officially on board makes us very strong in the House.

Everyone, Please support this work by doing the following:

- If you haven't written to Congress in the past two months or so, please write in support of the Conyers hearing. If you have, then please write to the House Judiciary Committee.

- If you live in MA, please write to Gov. Deval and your state reps.

- If you live in KY, please write to Gov-elect Fletcher and remind him that poker players voted for him and that we don't want Internet poker made illegal in his proposed referendum

- When commenting on the UIGEA regs, try to work in the CRE points where they help us.

- Write to the USTR. FoF is.

Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bryan, I posted in another thread about the PPA's stance on the IGREA. I'm not going to retype the whole post. But I will reiterate my suggestion. The PPA needs to stop pushing the IGREA as a solution or compliance with the WTO decisions because it does not, in any way comply, with the WTO decision.
Also, it would be helpful if you read all the threads before you post news. You will usually find a thread already started on the news and can post in that thread. This one is one your information http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post12866224

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bureau of National Affairs article claims IGREA addresses the WTO concerns:

[ QUOTE ]
The Frank bill would allow individual states to determine the extent of gambling permitted; allow Internet gambling to occur on the same basis as domestic gambling, removing arguments that U.S. laws are discriminatory; put into place appropriate protections instead of driving Internet gambling into illegal channels, and raise monies that could fund Capitol Hill priorities, Pomper said (81 ITD, 04/27/07).

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this address it perfectly? It likely would have two or three years ago, as it would have opened our Internet horseracing access nationwide and other markets on a state-by-state basis. Will this still do the trick? It can certainly be proposed (it beats the current U.S. proposals to address it).
Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- If you live in KY, please write to Gov-elect Fletcher and remind him that poker players voted for him and that we don't want Internet poker made illegal in his proposed referendum

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I thought we sent Ernie home....

D$D
Old 11-08-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I thought we sent Ernie home....

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Oops. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Maybe we should write to Gov-elect Beshear instead.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:13 PM

FYI

---------------------

Poker Players Alliance: News and Articles
[DC] Judiciary Hearing 11/14 at 10am

The PPA would like to invite any members in the area who are interested in this hearing to attend. Annie Duke will testify on our behalf. This hearing will be very crowded, so if you do decide to attend, please plan to arrive early.

COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY

NOTICE OF HEARING

TIME: 10:00 a.m.

DATE: Wed, Nov. 14, 2007

PLACE: 2141 Rayburn House Office Building

Hearing on Establishing Consistent Enforcement Policies in the Context of Online Wagers

By Direction of the Chairman

Committee on the Judiciary
2138 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Old 11-08-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI

---------------------

Poker Players Alliance: News and Articles
[DC] Judiciary Hearing 11/14 at 10am

The PPA would like to invite any members in the area who are interested in this hearing to attend. Annie Duke will testify on our behalf. This hearing will be very crowded, so if you do decide to attend, please plan to arrive early.

COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY

NOTICE OF HEARING

TIME: 10:00 a.m.

DATE: Wed, Nov. 14, 2007

PLACE: 2141 Rayburn House Office Building

Hearing on Establishing Consistent Enforcement Policies in the Context of Online Wagers

By Direction of the Chairman

Committee on the Judiciary
2138 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything special we should do other than take up space?

I assume we should be polite and wear our PPA pins, as a given, but is there anything else anyone needs?

I'll even carry bags, boxes, exibits, almost anything but Greg! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

D$D
Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 PM

I cut-and-pasted that from the website, so that's all that's being requested. I think your guess is about right. Wear a PPA pin and a smile.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cut-and-pasted that from the website, so that's all that's being requested. I think your guess is about right. Wear a PPA pin and a smile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'll be happy to show up early and "save seats", or perhaps bring a big thing of Starbucks coffee.

How does everyone take theirs?

D$D