Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 09:59 PM

Default The Most Important Thing In The World Right Now

Is getting to the bottom of the OJ sports memorobilia breakin. Its the top story on CNN and I assume most news shows. And though the producers and commentators on those shows may think that other stuff might be more important, they know that that isn't what most people want to know about.

Please tell me why you (or even Jesus) should care about them more than your cat.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: The Most Important Thing In The World Right Now

[ QUOTE ]
Please tell me why you (or even Jesus) should care about them more than your cat.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's similar to the ending of woody allen's manhattan. about how people stress about neurotic crazy things because if they had to worry about real problems they would go crazy.

I mean, let's face it, there's gonna be nuclear war (iran) and a global financial meltdown within a year. the plebes need something stupid they can relate to to worry about.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is getting to the bottom of the OJ sports memorobilia breakin. Its the top story on CNN and I assume most news shows. And though the producers and commentators on those shows may think that other stuff might be more important, they know that that isn't what most people want to know about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t know who “them” is in your last sentence and I can’t make heads or tails of your question. But if you are asking why people care about this new OJ development, then it is because people have a sense of poetic justice. OJ is a murderer, that got off Scott free and has been playing golf every day since. If he ends up going to jail for a much “smaller” crime, especially if he spends a great deal of time in jail, then this will be a hoot for the general public. Why? Well imagine a vicious murderer that escapes justice, then one day this cocky s.o.b. steals a stick of bubble gum and go’s to jail for 20 years. This scenario hugely appeals to peoples imagination of justice and revenge.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:29 AM

The most important thing is not the same as what people want to know about...
Old 09-18-2007, 02:57 AM

You can be sure the most important thing in the world to news execs is ratings. People love seeing celebrities self destruct. Just ask Britteny, Paris, and that Barrymore girl.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:03 AM

The most important thing in the world right now is knowing he's not an example worth a second thought...More of an example of what not to be like reality tv...But of course reality tv will probably succeed in brainwashing the younger generation...because its A-ok to do just about anything as long as you get the attention and/or the money...
Old 09-18-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The most imporatnt story in the world is getting to the bottom of the OJ sports memorobilia breakin. Its the top story on CNN and I assume most news shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

That surely doesn't make it the most important story in the world! I can't think that anyone would really think this is the most imporatnt thing in the world. LOL. I stand to be corrected! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The most imporatnt story in the world is getting to the bottom of the OJ sports memorobilia breakin. Its the top story on CNN and I assume most news shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

That surely doesn't make it the most important story in the world! I can't think that anyone would really think this is the most imporatnt thing in the world. LOL. I stand to be corrected! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And though the producers and commentators on those shows may think that other stuff might be more important, they know that that isn't what most people want to know about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-18-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And though the producers and commentators on those shows may think that other stuff might be more important, they know that that isn't what most people want to know about.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe we need to consider just how very cheap this sort of news is to produce - almost zero research from dumb journalists and pseudo-experts, and so simple that its easy to present. I wonder how different it would be if all news cost the same to produce (I fear not much).

chez
Old 09-18-2007, 05:03 PM

Personally I couldn't care less.

I live in the UK and there is a similar (in a lot of way, not similar in just as many) story here, I'll mention iit in case you know of it. A family called the McCannes (Spelling?) are on the front page of every paper, and have been for weeks over whether or not they killed their child, or whether she was abducted.

EVERYBODY cares, and EVERYBODY has an opinion.

At the risk of sounding holier than though, (I am not a great speller sorry.) I do not care.

My wife asked me what I thought and I said 'I don't have an opinion, the papers will guide your opinion if you let them, and depending upon which source you get your news from will determine your opinion.' This is the crux of the issue I believe.

I care very deeply for the missing girl, she is a similar age to my daughter, but I simply feel that whatever happened, she is a terribly unfortunate little girl and deserves uor pity and our prayers. (I am an athiest, so the definition of the word prayers I am obviously not using correctly, but you get the point). That is the limit of my emotional involvement in the 'story'.

Feeling any way about the perpetrator, or suspect of a crime to satisfy some sense of media driven morality is both wrong and hollow IMHO. We should choose the things we decide to spend our emotional energy on carefully as it is a finite resource and one with which much good is possible.