Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 02:11 AM

Default 77 Preflop and Calling a Raise in Position

All comments/advice/constructive criticism much appreciated. This is a 2NLHE table with 8 people seated.

<u>Stacks</u>
Seat 1: $2.17
Villain: $0.98
HERO: $1.60
Seats 4-8: IRRELEVANT

<u>PREFLOP</u>
HERO has 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Irrelevant person calls BB of $0.02
Seat 1 calls $0.02
Villain raises $0.08
Hero calls
<font color="red">Is this a bad call? I know pocket 7's are pretty speculative. However, with 2 limpers, this guy raised quite little. Also, I had position over him. So I thought a call would be beneficial. If he or someone else reraised, I would have instafolded. </font>
5 people folded
Seat 1 calls $0.06

<u>FLOP</u> (pot: $0.26)
4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Seat 1 checks
Villain bets $0.10
Hero reraises $0.36
<font color="red">I reraised him because I thought he might have been doing a weak C-bet. Also, I hit my set. Good spot to reraise his weak bet. </font>
Seat 1 folds
Villain calls $0.26

<u>TURN</u> (pot: $0.98)
4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks
Hero bets $0.60
<font color="red">Thought I had the upperhand here. He shows no initiative by checking. I thought he might have been going for a flush draw or had top pair or something. I put him all-in. </font>
Villain calls $0.54 and is all-in

<u>RIVER</u>
4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain shows K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Questions: Any move I totally screwed up in? Suggestions please. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Re: 77 Preflop and Calling a Raise in Position

You played it fine. Set over set is something that will happen from time to time, but not often enough to really worry about - at least not until you're both really deep.

Villain will play the same way with a lot of hands that you beat, and you'll get his chips then.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:03 AM

He could have a flush draw, AK or even KQ. The only hand in his range that beats you is KK. You have to get it all-in and take the chance that sometimes you'll go broke.

Well played, reload, move on.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:22 AM

this is just one of those times where you are going to lose money, not too much you can do. you played it fine. reload and get your money back.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:00 AM

If you don't go broke with middle set vs. top set, you played it wrong.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't go broke with middle set vs. top set, you played it wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 AM

i agree. i think you played the hand perfectly. as has been said, you will lose with set over set on occasion and it will suck every time LOL. but i wouldn't change the way you play that same situation in the future.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:51 AM

You need to be careful when calling for set value when your opponent has a relatively short stack. The Villain's stack was only 12 times the size of your call. That's right on the borderline of what it takes to play for set value against a known overpair who will always stack off, since you only win about 80% of the time when you flop a set. 8% losses come from when you both flop sets, 8% come from catching a higher set, and about 4% come from 1 card straights, flushes, and when your hand gets counterfeited.

Since you don't know that your opponent has a high pair, and you might not stack KK on an ace-high flop, you either have to hope someone else who has a larger stack will call, too, and will pay off your set, or you need to get some return from the pot when you miss. If you feel you have to fold when you miss your set, your preflop call might have been wrong. However, it is close, and it wouldn't be wrong by more than $0.01.

Postflop, your play was fine. However, your explanation for your raise on the flop does not make sense. If you think your opponent is weak, but is betting anyway, that argues against raising. You might raise against a known weak hand if you think your opponent has a live draw against you, but you might want to let him keep betting.

I would say that your flop raise was good because you probably have the best hand, you will be called or 3-bet by weaker hands, and you want to protect your hand from something like a flush draw. It will be hard to get all of the money in against a hand like QQ if a heart or ace comes on the turn, while someone with QQ may call your raise.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:13 PM

agree w/phzon. pf is questionable b/c of stacks. the flop raise is standard/good, but not for the reasons you stated.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:24 PM

you stacked off ok. It was inevitable IMO