Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: The New York Back Raise...25/50 Live

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and btw what did u have in the hand where it was 8jk with 2 diamonds cause i had 87 where the dude on ur left made a 1k donk bet and u called and i made it 4k

[/ QUOTE ]

I had A10dd.

[/ QUOTE ]

puke

[/ QUOTE ]

nevermind, i thought from the wording that you mucked this.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because of how suspect your play can look sometimes, his range isn't only AA, KK and AK here. That's most of his range, but you can't throw out JJ, TT completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen others stack off in this spot with jacks before. I've done it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never stacked off 250bbs with JJ before, but i've done it with AK a WHOLE bunch of times. I'm not sure if that makes me better or worse than you.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would guess that the backraise is prominent because people routinely make it 15+ BBs with garbage hands and get lots of callers.

I'll go with (TWP's?) advice: reraise enough that you're committed and plan to get it allin. Given what you did, I'd still get allin.

[/ QUOTE ]

you realize a back raise is not the same as a limp-reraise, right?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because of how suspect your play can look sometimes, his range isn't only AA, KK and AK here. That's most of his range, but you can't throw out JJ, TT completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the pot was HU, i'd agree with you. but there is no telling what the SB/BB, or original raiser could have woken up with (esp. the original raiser), making shoving with TT there suicide. i said the villain reraised preflop more than most...i didn't say he was an idiot.
dlpnyc21

[/ QUOTE ]
How often are the SB or the BB ever coldcalling the raise and the reraise in a pot with that many players when they have a hand that could stack off in this situation? It seems to me that you're slightly fixated on this point which should be a non-issue. I think once the original raiser (to $400) flatcalls the raise to $1500 in what will surely be at least a 5 way pot that it's safe to say that the only people who might have big pairs are you (since you did, and you reraised) and the kid on the button.

I've pushed JJ in his shoes before because you just think "the odds of him having what he's repping here are really small" and i'd say that 2/3 times, they have what they're repping. It doesn't mean that I won't make the play again.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would guess that the backraise is prominent because people routinely make it 15+ BBs with garbage hands and get lots of callers.

I'll go with (TWP's?) advice: reraise enough that you're committed and plan to get it allin. Given what you did, I'd still get allin.

[/ QUOTE ]

you realize a back raise is not the same as a limp-reraise, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I've got a friend who uses backraise to mean limp-reraise, and that's the only time I've heard that term used.

I guess this is a different spot, but the times I've seen people stack off with JJ have been in this spot that you are describing. Not sure if it was for 250 BBs, but it was def. for 150+.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:50 PM

is this a joke thread ?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, I like making it 7k and folding to a shove a lot better than what I did.

dlpnyc21

[/ QUOTE ]

do you like making it 7k w/A2o here?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess this is a different spot, but the times I've seen people stack off with JJ have been in this spot that you are describing. Not sure if it was for 250 BBs, but it was def. for 150+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides, 250 BBs is only about 50 NYC BBs, isn't it? I'm always a little unsure of the conversion rate.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, I like making it 7k and folding to a shove a lot better than what I did.

dlpnyc21

[/ QUOTE ]

do you like making it 7k w/A2o here?

[/ QUOTE ]

i see people back raising with hands like 89s, 66, AK/AA/KK. I don't like it too much with QQ, like I did. I'd much prefer to have a hand like 89ss or air like A2o (although I don't call raises with those hands usually).

So, no, I don't have A2o here, but I definitely could have T9ss or a hand like 66, although villain most likely wouldn't suspect me to have those hands.

dlpnyc21
Old 08-15-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides, 250 BBs is only about 50 NYC BBs, isn't it? I'm always a little unsure of the conversion rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

normally this is the case because there is usually a straddle or a double straddle--but in this case, there was not. And I don't like losing 50k pots preflop with QQ, even if there was a straddle in the hand.

Thanks for the advice on the hands, guys, I guess I wasn't too much of a donkey in the hand, even sure I sure as hell felt like one.

dlpnyc21