Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Live 6/12 Game, Junk from the BB

Hero holds 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the big blind, and sees a free flop against 5 opponents. Main villain is the button, who is actually pretty taggish and definitely a winning player in this game. Other players are pretty typical loose passive stations.

J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 SB)

SB, Hero, EP, MP and HJ all check, button bets.

Small blind calls. Hero glances left and spots no sign of a check/raise. Hero calls (???) as do 2 others.

At this point, we're five handed with 5.5 big bets in the pot. I have bottom pair and a back door draw to an 8 high flush.

J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] X [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5.5 BB)

SB checks. What is hero's plan, and how does it depend on on the value of X (I'm sorry, I have actually forgotten what X was in this hand)? For simplicity, lets focus on the cases where X is an ace or a two.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Live 6/12 Game, Junk from the BB

With four opponents, I am checking and calling for any value of X.

-McGee
Old 09-28-2007, 01:18 PM

c/c always. you have zero FE regardless of X.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:21 PM

the best play is most always going to be check/call. there's sort of a straight draw available on the flop, but outside of that it's pretty dry. yet the flop bet yielded 4 calls. someone has a pair and they aren't folding it to a bet or c/r.

now if a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] fell we could possible consider a valuebet, but if we get raised and lose "customers" it loses way more than it would gain. in other words, the risk/reward even with the OESFD and pair likely isn't there.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 PM

That was exactly what I thought as well. I checked, both opponents checked to the button, who diligently bet again. The small blind folded, and I called without much thought, and I think X was a paint. The two players behind me called as well.

My thinking after the hand went like this: If X was a low heart, would this have been a good time to check/raise as a semibluff and try to take it down? It seems the opinion here is a resounding no [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2007, 03:35 PM

The river bricked off and it checked through. The button won the hand with 67s. The HJ had a worse 5 than me, and the other player at SD mucked. I have to think that a check/raise on the turn would have gotten him to throw his hand, but I'm pretty sure this is results-oriented thinking and the c/c line was correct the whole time. Any other thoughts?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was exactly what I thought as well. I checked, both opponents checked to the button, who diligently bet again. The small blind folded, and I called without much thought, and I think X was a paint. The two players behind me called as well.

My thinking after the hand went like this: If X was a low heart, would this have been a good time to check/raise as a semibluff and try to take it down? It seems the opinion here is a resounding no [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check/raise Qh-Ah 100% of the time in this spot and I would strongly consider check/raising any heart if the button will bet the turn again with 6x and will fold this hand to a check/raise.

Edit: Ignore my post. I didnt realize there were two active players behind us on the turn. That changes the BTN's turn range dramatically, and our chances of winning this pot UI is almost zero. Just call the turn.