Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 11:41 PM

Default sf bay area building costs per sq ft

Any real estate folks have estimates for what it costs per sq ft a new homebuilder to build in the 2k, 3k, or 4k sq ft range? I'm talking "far" east 580 corridor, such as Dublin, Livermore, or even as far as Tracy.

eastbay
Old 10-09-2007, 04:13 AM

Default Re: sf bay area building costs per sq ft

its gonna vary so much by where exactly you build and what you build. the more rural the mless it will cost. but figure around 200 and up
Old 10-10-2007, 03:09 PM

Funny you should ask. I got quoted two days ago from a competent real estate agent at 400 per sq. ft. for a house on the peninsula with a reputable builder and reasonably upgraded building material. She said, "Don't count on anything less than 300 per sq. ft." It sounded high to me.

I suppose that it could possibly be cheaper in those East Bay areas. But I think most of the cost differential is in land price, not building price.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:24 PM

it really varies so much between where you are. and what you are doing. a cheap tract type house or a nice custom job. you pay for what you get.
california and cities are alot more to build in as the permits and fees are high.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:48 PM

Really depends on how custom you want to get, but it can range anywhere from $200-$350 for about 95% of builders. There are some significantly higher, of course, but for a normal, nice 3500 sq ft custom home, you should be in the upper end of that range in a place like Livermore/Dublin.
(this is just the construction, of course. the lot is extra)

Most of my appraisers use $200 sq ft for replacement value for normal ranch style older homes with nice updates, so you can figure from there.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny you should ask. I got quoted two days ago from a competent real estate agent at 400 per sq. ft. for a house on the peninsula with a reputable builder and reasonably upgraded building material. She said, "Don't count on anything less than 300 per sq. ft." It sounded high to me.

I suppose that it could possibly be cheaper in those East Bay areas. But I think most of the cost differential is in land price, not building price.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's asking how much for a contractor to build, so it doesn't matter where it is for the most part.