Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Do you felt top set (when it\'s the nuts on the flop)?

I lost a few all-ins tonight.

Twice I had top set on the flop, potted or reraised the flop, but got callers. What do you do if a draw card hits (flush or straight) and you're set all-in?

You have 10 outs to boat up or make quads.

When are you pot-committed, what percentage of your stack has to be in the pot already?

What if it's a 3-way all-in, that changes the implied odds, right?

Get as much of your stack in the pot on the flop, is that the optimal play?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Do you felt top set (when it\'s the nuts on the flop)?

The optimal play should be if you get most of your money, preferably all of it, in when you are ahead of the opponents equity.
There are some spots where you can be behind even with topset vs a monstercombodraw.
I got it in last night with spare jacks on a 3 9 J board with 2 spades and 1 heart. I had no redraw and my opponent something like TQKA doublesuited with 1 flushdraw and 1 backdoordraw so my equity was 44% or something. I dind't realize that and got it in on the flop and lost. BUT as you see that was pretty much the WORST case szenario so getting it in with topset on a semidrawyboard can never be incorrect.
Long story short: get as much money in the pot on the flop - optimal play.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lost a few all-ins tonight.

Twice I had top set on the flop, potted or reraised the flop, but got callers. What do you do if a draw card hits (flush or straight) and you're set all-in?

You have 10 outs to boat up or make quads.

When are you pot-committed, what percentage of your stack has to be in the pot already?

What if it's a 3-way all-in, that changes the implied odds, right?

Get as much of your stack in the pot on the flop, is that the optimal play?

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, get as much money into the pot as possible with top set (if it is the nuts). Almost any turn card that does not pair the board will complete a straight or flush draw. If I have a monster draw to go along with my set (such as a nut flush draw) I might raise less than the pot to draw in my opponent.

If you get a lot of action, oftentimes you will be up against a lower set, two pair or some sort of combo draw (but will have more equity).

If it is 3-way or more, you have to be more wary of someone hitting a draw on the turn. Heads-up, you don't have to be as worried but you may want to slow down if a passive player suddenly becomes beserko.

If you still have a lot of your stack left and a turn card completes a draw and a couple players go beserko, you may want to dump your hand.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 AM

i love having top set 3 way - often the other 2 people are drawing to a split, or one of them has a lower set, so you are always guarenteed action. probably the worse case is set v nfd v wrap, but in that scenario you are still very unlucky if you have less than 50% equity 3 way, and all the money is pretty much guarenteed to go in (44% would be the absolute minumum i would guess unless you have a double set)