Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Starting out online

I`d try the 2 and 3 table SnGs rather than STTs.

The blind structures are usually closer to the home games you will be used to and their run time will fit in with you. (about 2 hrs)

have a look at the prima network
Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 AM

I would play 2-5 table SnG's at the lowest possible buy-in. Cash games are a good way to lose your small bankroll in a very short time and STT need a specific strategy to cash in them consistently. Look at it this way: If you play a .01/.02 cash game and buy-in for $2, you might spend around $10 in only an hour. 45 player SnG last 1.5-2 hours and cost only $1.20 or $1.25 - much more value for the money imo.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:42 PM

OP, what did you use as a deposit option on Pokerstars? I'm trying to get back online and Epassporte SUCKS, it takes so long to open an account with them. Any suggestions anyone? thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 02:26 PM

Now that my roll allows it I play only cash but built my roll from $50 to just over $700 in 3 months playing the 3.25 45 man 5 table sit n go on Stars. Play uber tight until blinds reach 50-100 then you can start to play poker.

I agree cash is better for me now but the risk reward ratio in these are awesome. I would have probably lost my initial deposit had I started playing cash. As compared to tourneys ring games are a different game altogether in terms of strategy.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, what did you use as a deposit option on Pokerstars? I'm trying to get back online and Epassporte SUCKS, it takes so long to open an account with them. Any suggestions anyone? thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

E-passporte seems to be the best way to make small deposits for an American player, though the steps and time you have to go through to get it started are indeed annoying.

The other option is sending the money Western Union. I think the minimum is $100, but it certainly won't take the two weeks required to get up and running with an E-passporte account.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:28 PM

I started playing dollar sngs on stars recently, having played mostly cash games before that. Putting players on hands seems to be impossible. For example, I dealt KK, raise, get I caller, flop comes A 10 9, I bet he calls, turn is a 6, I bet he calls, river is a 2, I'm spooked so I check and he checks... what do you think he had?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:37 PM

I would say that cash games are the best training ground for learning to play poker as a general rule. If you have a decent bankroll and you are willing to lose a little to learn the game, this is the way to go. The variance in SnGs will leave you wondering if you really know the game at all. The fact that your odds equal your equity in cash games will help you assess more quickly if what you are doing is playing winning poker. Plus you get to learn the ins-and-outs of preflop and postflop play (if you want to concentrate on preflop play, you can shortstack).

Basically, it is like this, good cash-game players don't have much issue beating SnGs, but good SnG players have much more difficulty beating cash games. So go to the proper training grounds if you want to learn poker. If you just want to earn money with a rather simple form of poker with a pretty well-defined mathematical strategy, go for SnGs.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:07 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys - 1st chance I've had to get back to the thread in a few days...
Will have a read, soak up the advice and let u know where I head next and how I get on...
Old 10-12-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would play 2-5 table SnG's at the lowest possible buy-in. Cash games are a good way to lose your small bankroll in a very short time and STT need a specific strategy to cash in them consistently. Look at it this way: If you play a .01/.02 cash game and buy-in for $2, you might spend around $10 in only an hour. 45 player SnG last 1.5-2 hours and cost only $1.20 or $1.25 - much more value for the money imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

.2/.5 - I did great. Then I moved down a step after reading about BR management
.1/.2 - Lost a ton of $$ (crazy ass players that I didn't know what to do with)

Then I moved to $3.40 single-table SnGs... and have been winning consistently for 3 months. It's because I have a strategy that helps me place in the money.

I look forward to the day when my BR is big enough that I can lose a lot of $$ learning cash games better...
Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

.2/.5 - I did great. Then I moved down a step after reading about BR management
.1/.2 - Lost a ton of $$ (crazy ass players that I didn't know what to do with)

Then I moved to $3.40 single-table SnGs... and have been winning consistently for 3 months. It's because I have a strategy that helps me place in the money.

I look forward to the day when my BR is big enough that I can lose a lot of $$ learning cash games better...

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is you suck at poker and you can only win at donkaments?

SNGs are not real poker. Yes you can learn to beat them, but that has jack **** to do with how good a poker player you are. If you want to be a good POKER PLAYER, not a SNG DONK, you have to play the NL (or limit if you so choose) cash games.

Anybody that says otherwise is a tourney donk who doesn't know how to play real poker.