Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 03:30 PM

Default poker in macau

Just came back from a 1 night trip from Macau. Upon arriving to Macau via ferry boat from HongKong, some person was passing out a flyer that was advertising poker at the Star World Hotel. Went to check it out and it was the PokerTek tables. There were like 5 tables but spreading only 2 tables of 5/10 NL. Traveling with my girlfriends family that are not gamblers, I was able to play for about 2 hrs. Play was ridiculous, lousy players, and seem like a lot of colluding among some of the chinese players.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Re: poker in macau

Was it profitable? What was the rake like? 5-10 USD no limit?
A few of us from HK would like to go over and see but similar to you I'm worried about colluding locals as i can't understand them!
Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was it profitable? What was the rake like? 5-10 USD no limit?
A few of us from HK would like to go over and see but similar to you I'm worried about colluding locals as i can't understand them!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasnt profitable in my 2 hrs of play. Wished i couldve played more but i went with my gf and her mom. her mom wanted us to leave, so i did. The play was mostly awful by the locals in calling 2nd pair or top pair with low kicker. A lot of bluffing by some and agressive betting with strong hands. You shouldnt be worried about not being able to understand them. There were plenty of people from Australia and a internet playing New Zealander that i was able to figure out. If you can use them to your advantage, since they seem to be new to the game and adjust, I think you would do fine.

From what i calculated, the rake was about 5% or so. and the limits were 5-10 NL in HKD. 1 usd = 7.81 hkd at the time. so the limits would be .64-1.28 NL in USD.

About the collusion, I couldnt really hear what they were saying for i was across the table. This wasnt happening all the time because i was watching the games before and everyone seem to be playing on their own.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:40 AM

So it sounds like it could be ok for a TAG vs the locals. Will try and find some opportunity to go soon.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:28 AM

Interesting... i'm heading to HK in a few days and thought there wasn't going to be any poker!

Just curious to what you mean by only spreading 2 tables of 5/10NL... the other 3 weren't in use?? only enough players for 2?

TY
Old 08-11-2007, 10:43 AM

One more thing... how do you buyin/cashout on those tables??
Credit Card buyin?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2007, 11:35 AM

collusion is the #1 concern at these e-tables. I tested an e-tournament (and won... so simple vis these noobs) at the WSOP expo, even though the table was filled with alleged "pros" they were discussing hands with each other as the action was happening! I would imagine this could be horrible in Macao if you don't speak Chinese, its a problem waiting to happen.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting... i'm heading to HK in a few days and thought there wasn't going to be any poker!

Just curious to what you mean by only spreading 2 tables of 5/10NL... the other 3 weren't in use?? only enough players for 2?

TY

[/ QUOTE ]

there was only enough people for 2 table to run. I was playing on a thursday so it might be more people and more tables on the weekends.

[ QUOTE ]
One more thing... how do you buyin/cashout on those tables??
Credit Card buyin?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to go to the cashiers window and on the left side, there are special windows to make an account to get a card. You give them money to charge that card and slide it into the card slot on the table.