Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 10:59 PM

Default 25NL KT-TP vs PFR-I hate this spot

I don't usually get myself into these spots. It was not really the hand I was looking for, but the way it went down, and his stack size. I ran a few numbers on poker stove, if his range is just top 10%, then I have 40 equity.In the past I would not have called, but putting numbers to hand ranges, I have been calling in some spots where the estimated range warrants it.
Villain 30/8 over 40 hands

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

SB ($32)
BB ($14.05)
UTG ($20.35)
UTG+1 ($18.55)
MP1 ($34.20)
MP2 ($24.75)
MP3 ($23.35)
CO ($24.65)
Hero ($20.35)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1</font>, UTG calls $0.75, MP1 calls $0.75, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls $0.75, SB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($5.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5.5</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $19.35 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, BB calls $7.55 (All-In).

Turn: ($37.90) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($37.90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $37.90
Old 11-27-2007, 11:39 PM

Default Re: KT-TP vs PFR-I hate this spot

[ QUOTE ]
BB ($14.05)
...BB raises to $1...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is BB's raise an example of the dreaded short stack min-raise recently discussed in the illuminati thread? Is $14.05 considered a "short stack" appropriate to the min-raise? Or is $14.05 not short enough to play a short stack? Is this a "good" min-raise situation for the short stack? Or is BB an example of a "bad" short stacker?

I find the BB's play much more interesting than hero's here.

As played for hero, however, I'd fold to BB's pot-sized donk bet. When and if I play KTo from the blinds, I'm looking for a straight, or at least top-two pair or trips. I'm not looking for TPWK vs a guy with a 3/4-sized stack relative to mine and a player in the SB still to act who has me covered.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When and if I play KTo from the blinds, I'm looking for a straight, or at least top-two pair or trips.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the reply. I am in the cutoff, not the blinds. What do u estimate BB's range to be here-top 10% or is that way too optimistic? If villian is raising with overpair here, I think this is a bad raise-it's likely to invite the multiway action that he doesn't want
Old 11-28-2007, 12:01 AM

I agree with albert, fold to the pot sized bet. Big blind raised preflop with several callers out of position expecting some action with a raise of only 4BB with 6 callers. The player is clearly weak but I would definatly put TT-AA in his range of hands along with AT.

I honestly dont think there are many hands here that you would be ahead of on the flop given the action. Given the short stack BB could feel pot commited after you pushed him and call with two over cards AJ-AK. Regardless I feel most of the time your ganna be far behind.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: 25NL KT-TP vs PFR-I hate this spot

I would not even play this hand when the action gets to me the first time. I like raising or folding because KT is not a good multiway hand. I fold the majority of the time but raise occasionally.

[ QUOTE ]
I ran a few numbers on poker stove, if his range is just top 10%, then I have 40 equity

[/ QUOTE ] Run these numbers against the range that plays this way(ie: raising tiny pf and leading for pot into a big field). Also, he's not that short and wasting 60bbs on a garbage hand is not something I'm going to do.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When and if I play KTo from the blinds, I'm looking for a straight, or at least top-two pair or trips.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the reply. I am in the cutoff, not the blinds. What do u estimate BB's range to be here-top 10% or is that way too optimistic? If villian is raising with overpair here, I think this is a bad raise-it's likely to invite the multiway action that he doesn't want

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I wrote "blinds" but I meant "button." What I was trying to say was, "When and if I play KTo from the button, I'm looking for a straight, or at least top-two pair or trips. I'm not looking for TPWK vs a guy with a 3/4-sized stack relative to mine and a player in the SB still to act who has me covered."

Sorry about the typo.

The OP clearly says, "Hero is Button." And I will call all kinds of junk like KTo on the button. So I like the preflop play fine. But, like I was saying, I'm looking for a big flop. I'm not looking for top pair. I'd fold to the big donk bet, especially with one player still to act between me and the 3/4 stack donk bettor.

As for the min-raiser's range, it's almost anything playable. AT,KT,A2s,JJ,or even QQ-AA looking to make a big pot that he can push at on any flop and get "action" since he's short. Maybe its a bluff, but I'm more worried about SB. Just because SB checked the flop doesn't mean he missed the flop. I'd hate to push over the donk betting shorty only to have SB wake up with a call.

Basically, I would have played KTo preflop on the button for the implied odds that I might get on a great flop. Not for the marginal equity that may or may not exist with TPWK vs a short stack. So I'd fold.