Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Re: General life questions / observations / random whatever thread

short story contest in The Lounge with a small cash prize. submission thread will go up on Weds and stay open for 2-3 weeks. for more info, see here: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...umber=13020739
Old 11-26-2007, 06:13 PM

All,

Couple of weeks ago went to a bar with a friend, got 3 scotches total. Tab was about $40. I left $100 and went to the bathroom. Came back from bathroom and friend points to the bill holder thing and says the bartender rang us up. I grab $5 of the money and leave it as a tip, then put the rest in my pocket and leave.

Later when I take the money out of my pocket, I find I have $155 in my pocket, not $55. I count the $100s in my wallet (I knew how many I had) and sure enough, I got $100 extra change (I guess he made change but forgot to take the bill I left).

The next day I felt sorta bad about a bartender possibly having to eat $100, so I went back and asked to speak to the bar manager. Told him what happened and left him my card. Couple weeks later, no email/call, woohoo!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM

I'm pretty sure in that situation karma creates a duplicate $100 bill to give to the bartender, and let's you keep yours for being such a good person
Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 PM

Nice. Bar staff work hard for their money and bars often make them cover missing funds out of their own pocket (even though it is illegal in many jurisdictions). Most people would have pocketed the money and said nothing if they noticed at the bar. To go back after already leaving is a very classy move.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 PM

traz, Henry: I actually decided to say "f it" that night and just chalk it up to a free $100, but when I got up the next morning I felt bad thinking about a bartender possibly having to eat that much money (if it was $20, I probably wouldn't have bothered). It was a busy expensive hotel bar, so I figure they just ate it rather than a small local bar with one bartender where that person would probably have to make it up. Anyway, was well worth $100 to not worry about that.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The next day I felt sorta bad about a bartender possibly having to eat $100, so I went back and asked to speak to the bar manager. Told him what happened and left him my card. Couple weeks later, no email/call, woohoo!

[/ QUOTE ]

This part confuses me. You went back and left a) your business card, b) your business card and $100, or an unlikely c) your credit card details?

The final sentence initially lead me to option a), with you being happy that they forgot about the $100. But why would you go in there just to drop off your contact info, if your intention was to pay back the money? 'Your employee gave me a free $100. I'm willing to pay it back, but only if you want it. Let me know.' WTF??

So perhaps you left the money to begin with? But then why are you happy that they haven't contacted you? And why did you leave your card to begin with? Solely because you expected a thank you note/call? That seems rather douche-ish tbh, and not something you would do based on reading previous posts. EDIT: Sarcasm detector broken perhaps?

Please, enlighten me!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 PM

the bar manager would run with the monies
Old 11-27-2007, 12:23 AM

So? They call him back and have him wire it? Bring in a check? The manager could always randomly take money at the end of the night and claim one of the bartenders came up short, right? How is this case different?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:57 AM

The point of going back was to make sure the bartender got the money. If the bartender had been hurt by the transaction he would have then contacted El Diablo who would have made a 3rd trip in to return the funds.

I really don't see a better option. You can't leave the money with the manager since you'd have no way of knowing if it got to the bartender. If I was a regular and knew the owner I might leave the money with the owner (if I trusted him) but in most cases I'd have done the same thing. Unless you actually know when the bartender will work again and you could go see him directly I don't see how else to return the money to him without risking it being intercepted.

That the bartender did not contact him means he probably didn't have to cover the missing money.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys take this facebook stuff way too seriously

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 800+ friends on facebook and I know 85% of them well enough to add to my friends list.....I have approx 700 photos on there and am constantly on it... I have various exes, schoolfriends/uni mates and people I met working abroad on it. I feel that it enables me to keep in touch with people much easier than on the phone etc and is simple for maintaining friendships over distance..

I have about ~50 friend requests pending as I don't really know them...so have not added them ...

However, I think all the Werewolf etc stuff is lame...