Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 08:18 PM

Default 99 did I have the right odds to play this to the river?

I figure the preflop call is standard. After the flop I thought I was getting good odds to hope to hit my set. If I had seen any aggression I probably would have folded. So was this a fairly standard play or a big donk play?

I was also considering folding on the river is someone had bet and there was more than one caller. Would that have been a bad fold.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, 3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (10SB, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (11.5BB, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Results:
Final pot: 11.5BB
Old 07-05-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: 99 did I have the right odds to play this to the river?

You need 22:1 to draw to a set.

3bets preflop, or at least raise flop if you aren't folding.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 PM

I generally fold 99 preflop against a raise, especially since you didn't have a very good chance of seeing both blinds call.

I would then likely fold the flop. You have an aggressor betting into 4 opponents, and a board that has a good chance of hitting a potential c/r.

Once I decided to call the flop, though, I'm calling the turn unless I see a scary card. 8c is suitably unscary for me.

River -- I would fold to a bet and one caller.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure the preflop call is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not for me. I like playing hands more than folding, so I 3-bet preflop. If I don't want to do that, I fold.

[ QUOTE ]
After the flop I thought I was getting good odds to hope to hit my set. If I had seen any aggression I probably would have folded. So was this a fairly standard play or a big donk play?

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't really have odds getting only 12:1. Also, you did see aggression. But since you did call, if someone were to check/raise and it's one back to you, depending on who calls, you're getting about the right odds with implied odds figured in to call for your set outs.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:24 PM

I don't mind the preflop call since there is already one cold-caller. If a 3-bet could get you HU against UTG+2, then that would work, but it can't in this situation.

Therefore, the way it was played, I"m playing this like I would a smaller pocket pair and hoping to flop a set. I"m folding this flop the way it was played.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:27 PM

I hate to say it, but 3-bet or fold preflop.

The rest of the hand is pretty bad too.

On the flop, you are banking on UTG+2 betting UI overs into 4 players, sure he might do this, but if he is doing that, I would be raising the flop.

CrMenace, I don't think you really need to be concerned about a c/r on this flop. Heart draw? QJ-JT? 66/44. Which hands are you concerned are check-raising.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 PM

On the flop, I'd try and decide whether I've missed my set and folding, or may have best hand and trying to win the pot. With a single overcard and the PF raiser c-betting the flop, I'm thinking I could have the best hand. I would call the flop bet, raise a turn-bet by UTG+2 (assuming no further overcard, as in this hand), and hope for the free SD option. I'm folding if another overcard comes on the turn, or one of the other players wakes up and donks the turn.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling I played it poorly. I like the advice about raise or fold. Like "theory of Poker" says Calling is almost always the worst option. I ended up winning the hand with the 9's. The preflop aggressor had AQ.

Sometimes poor play is rewarded and I wanted to be sure I was not learning the wrong lesson.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CrMenace, I don't think you really need to be concerned about a c/r on this flop. Heart draw? QJ-JT? 66/44. Which hands are you concerned are check-raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, okay -- I was thinking J or HD might c/r this. Basically just first principles that you play tighter with live players behind you, just as you should play tighter when someone bets into multiple villains.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:05 PM

Yer, I dunno, I don't think a Jack (without hearts) is going to c/r this much.

However, I guess you are right, there is no reason why hearts won't c/r this (and obv sets).