Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Lost My Job, Plan on playing at canterbury

Speaking as a 6/12 regular at Canterbury, I applaud your decision to straddle cap blind with J2 off. Please, please continue doing this and thinking this is massively +EV for you.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking as a 6/12 regular at Canterbury, I applaud your decision to straddle cap blind with J2 off. Please, please continue doing this and thinking this is massively +EV for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nit.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so i lost my job last week (Im an electronics technician}

And now i think i will play at canterbury for the time being. My experiences there have been amazing i have played 21 times there in the last 4 months and never had a losing session. I play 4/8 lhe and i cant believe how much easier it is than online. 2 years ago i was doing well online but now i cant seem to win so I will be at cbury. Maybe i will see Schnieds again lol. So if anyone plays at Cbury can you tell me how the 6/12 plays compared to the 4/8 thx

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is hilarious in so many ways. When is someone going to break it to the guy that he is on a heater and is going to crash and burn fairly soon? The clues are right their under our noses.

Sorry melac, I am 90% positive your not a winning player now, your just experiencing variance. I know nobody likes to hear this and it offends so many people, but someone has to be the voice of reason here. Get a job.... playing 4/8 while your on a heater wont pay the bills, and when you hit the cooler (as you will for sure because you don't seem to realize your on a heater, a sign of an inexperienced player) its gonna hurt hard if you don't have a way to support yourself financially.

sorry to be so rough... consider it tough love. I hate to see young guys like yourself get over your head, its so tragic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it your modship that made you so patronising?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:06 AM

Here's my take [for what it's worth]...

You're young, you have no responsibilities, and if you go dead broke, I'll lend you the $300 for your monthly living expenses till you find a new job.

TAKE A CHANCE.

I totally agree with TT that your math is off, your sample size is weak, and you probably have a lot to learn. However, if the players are as bad as reported as canterburry...

KILL the 4/8... run out your heater until you get a few grand under your belt, then move up to 6/12 and/or 8/16.

Before you know it, maybe you have a $20K bankroll and you're moving out to LV to play 20-40 for a living.

Chances of success 10%...

But who cares, we all did stupid thing when we were young, and I doubt any of us did something "dumb" that had the potential upside that there is of being a pro-poker player.

I agree with everyone in this post... put I'm also a fan of taking risks when you're young and have nothing to lose.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so i lost my job last week (Im an electronics technician}

And now i think i will play at canterbury for the time being. My experiences there have been amazing i have played 21 times there in the last 4 months and never had a losing session. I play 4/8 lhe and i cant believe how much easier it is than online. 2 years ago i was doing well online but now i cant seem to win so I will be at cbury. Maybe i will see Schnieds again lol. So if anyone plays at Cbury can you tell me how the 6/12 plays compared to the 4/8 thx

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is hilarious in so many ways. When is someone going to break it to the guy that he is on a heater and is going to crash and burn fairly soon? The clues are right their under our noses.

Sorry melac, I am 90% positive your not a winning player now, your just experiencing variance. I know nobody likes to hear this and it offends so many people, but someone has to be the voice of reason here. Get a job.... playing 4/8 while your on a heater wont pay the bills, and when you hit the cooler (as you will for sure because you don't seem to realize your on a heater, a sign of an inexperienced player) its gonna hurt hard if you don't have a way to support yourself financially.

sorry to be so rough... consider it tough love. I hate to see young guys like yourself get over your head, its so tragic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it your modship that made you so patronizing?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I suck at understanding a poker concept, I expect someone to let me have it - make sure it sinks in. This guy is ready to gamble his savings on the line, sure he might survive but the odds are against him. Wouldn't you rather he have a fighting chance by getting a job rather than delude himself into thinking he can beat the game only to discover 3 months later that he has no money left?

Its not call "patronizing", its called compassion. I feel for guys like him - he doesn't have the experience you or I have to know better, and if I could reach across the interwebs and shake some sense into him I would. Sometimes a good tough love post is the best thing for a specific situation, it might help him see the light.

The ironic thing about this is that the OP is the kind of guy I want sitting on my right in a juicy game. But once we are away from the table I want to help, not take all his monies.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:57 AM

TT- You are a gentleman and a scholar and I respect your opinon. I'm guessing you're in your mid 40's or beyond and have a wealth of experience under your belt.

However, I still encourage "kids" [for lack of a better term]... to fall on their face when they are young and have limited responsibilities / debt. Chase your dreams before you get bogged down in daily life.

I think we all respect your "tough love"... but I can't bring myself to squash someones ambitions so universally.

If everyone listened to your advice and played it safe, there would be no 22 year old millionaire entrepeneurs, no olympic athletes, no risk takers...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT- You are a gentleman and a scholar and I respect your opinon. I'm guessing you're in your mid 40's or beyond and have a wealth of experience under your belt.

However, I still encourage "kids" [for lack of a better term]... to fall on their face when they are young and have limited responsibilities / debt. Chase your dreams before you get bogged down in daily life.

I think we all respect your "tough love"... but I can't bring myself to squash someones ambitions so universally.

If everyone listened to your advice and played it safe, there would be no 22 year old millionaire entrepeneurs, no olympic athletes, no risk takers...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I am all for following your dreams, I have many times. I lost my first 40k in a nightclub deal which was strung together on a wing and a prayer - I am pro calculated risk! But this guy needs to do a lot more research and learning before he branches out, he is gonna get hurt - thats not a calculated risk at all. Sure we all love it when someone makes a wild gamble here at 2+2, but 9x out of 10 its someone who can afford the loss. Its the stories like the OP's that tear on my heart strings, these are the people we should encourage to only gamble with a safety net.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:24 PM

yeah... but gambling when your fixed expenses are $300 a month is great timing.