Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 12:46 PM

Default 30/60 Stud Hi Flush

Typical aggressive 5-handed game, but no specific reads on the main villain here. 3-bet the river or just call, and is it close? Comments until then?

7 Card Stud High ($30/$60), Ante $5 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.83 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in_folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (6.17 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (4.08 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (6.08 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River - (8.08 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___raises
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: 30/60 Stud Hi Flush

You have to bet the river. With his raise on 3rd, bet on fourth, and flat call on 5th, his hand looks a lot more like a big pair than trips. I might have raised 4th as well.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:20 PM

On 3rd you should reraise here as your standard play just because of the likelihood the T is stealing, and you're not that far behind split tens anyway.

On 4th you can value raise. You definitely don't want to always raise your flushes but here you have two big cards and straight potential.

On the other hand the 8 is kind of looking like he has a big buried pair himself, and his leading into your board is somewhat strong, so calling is fine too.

Once he calls 5th it looks like he has aces or a four flush, though he could also have two pair or a smaller pair like TT chasing.

The river is a definite three bet, it's not close. He could have trips or aces up or kings up or a smaller flush.

The fact that you hold two eights make it especially unlikely he has a boat.

The main thing I would be afraid of is a bigger flush, but you will see the various holdings you beat a lot more often I think, especially since the 3rd street play is fairly unsual for a flush.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:25 PM

Hmmmm...this is interesting.

I'm going to assume that villain in this hand would not 3-bet the BI unless he had a buried pair bigger than the Ts that Seat 4 is representing, or at least had Ax spades. (Personally, I would not 3-bet the latter, but I know some players would.)

Subsequently, given villain's actions on 4th and 5th streets, I think we can rule out him having buried Ks and buried Js, and since you catch Qs on 5th and 6th, it makes it highly unlikely that villain has buried Qs.

Therefore, by the time you get to the river, I think villain's most likely hands (in order) are either As over, a spade flush (probably AK high), or trips (presumably trip As).

IMO it's a close call as to whether you 3-bet the river or just call, but since you beat two of his most likely hands, I think you 3-bet it.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On 3rd you should reraise here as your standard play just because of the likelihood the T is stealing, and you're not that far behind split tens anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense, inasmuch as the T has already folded to the villain's 3-bet before action comes back to the hero.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense, inasmuch as the T has already folded to the villain's 3-bet before action comes back to the hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means the first time around when hero just calls. I don't mind the call, but I think with either 2 overcards instead of 1 or the A showing a reraise is a good play...he could very well be stealing with all the other low trash cards showing.

I like a raise on 4th.

on the river i think a 3 bet is ok. really only worried about an AK flush I think. Could be a boat, but he often will have tripped up or thinks his K flush is best or he has a mediocre hand and wants you to fold hoping you just have the Qs and a busted flush draw.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:34 PM

A 3 bet? I think thats spewiing. If OP wasn't showing QQ and hadnt been consistenyl aggressive, then I can see a 3-bet. But not as played.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:41 PM

I go three bets. He's beating Queens-up, but your hand beats a lot of hands he'd raise with. He might have rivered Jacks full, but since he didn't go to war on Fifth or Sixth, Kings full is unlikely. Raise on third makes a flush less likely overall, but if you're beat, you probably get shown AK spade flush he overplayed on Third.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:21 PM

If we 3-bet can we fold to a cap?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:36 PM

Of course you re-raise. It's a bloody no-brainer.

(is this really a serious question?)