Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Winner
Michigan 44 38.26%
Ohio State 71 61.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Executing Child Rapists

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Before a poll like this can even mean anything, you must specify whether or not the altenative is life in prison with absolutely no chance of parole.

[/ QUOTE ]

A third alternative for multiple offenders (to eliminate an innocent person being so punished), should be mandatory physical castration. These pervs cannot be cured and should not be able to claim "rights to procreate" as a reason not to suffer such punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very humane of you, wanting these people back in the community. Have to be careful as I read (many years ago, maybe someone has more uptodate info) that castrated rapists were just as likely to reoffend with violent assults and no less dangerous to their victims.

Or did you mean to castrate them before execution or life imprisonment.

I'm against execution, reluctantly concede the need for life imprisonment in many cases.

chez
Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone who does that is obviously very ill. People who are ill require treatment. They are ill after all. I suppose you don't send people with cancer to jail or execute people with a failing kidney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not disagreeing with you, or agreeing for that matter, but I am questioning some of the 'facts' you are stating as I find the subject interesting.

Is it really a cureable illness as you suggest?

I am lucky that my sexuality is considered 'normal' by most people I come into contact with, but not everybody is that lucky, and I am sure we can agree that more than once in history someone has tried to 'cure' someone of homosexuality.

So why do we believe that the desires of this person can be altered any more than my desires to be physical with the opposite sex, or someone elses desires to be physical with the same sex or whatever.

Please note I am trying to be clear that I consider Hetro/homosexuality as the same on all levels apart from preferance, and am certainly not relating homosexuality to peadophilia. I will surely clarify if anyone wants to ask for clarification of anything, I speak better than I type, I think.

But given that, with the correct 'treatment' you could create a me where my desires were supressed (Assuming society deemed it immoral/unnacceptable to engauge in hetrosexual intercourse etc.) to a point where I could control them. Could the presence of those desires ever be completely vanquished? I doubt it, so how can we so readily accept full rehabilitation for peadophiles?

Also, if we can accept that an offender's chance of reoffending can never be reduced to 0%, what is an acceptable chance of reoffending, where we can call a perpetrator rehabilitated?

Thoughts on all of the above please.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone who does that is obviously very ill. People who are ill require treatment. They are ill after all. I suppose you don't send people with cancer to jail or execute people with a failing kidney.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm deeply unconvinced these people are ill in any medical sense.

chez
Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 PM

I'm against the death penalty, but if someone rapes a child of mine I'll kill him if I can.

I'm opposed to vigilantism also, so no it doesn't make any sense. But at some point principles break apart for me.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:57 PM

I'm with you there deuces.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose you don't send people with cancer to jail or execute people with a failing kidney.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you honestly believe that is the same thing?
Old 11-16-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Before a poll like this can even mean anything, you must specify whether or not the altenative is life in prison with absolutely no chance of parole.

[/ QUOTE ]

A third alternative for multiple offenders (to eliminate an innocent person being so punished), should be mandatory physical castration. These pervs cannot be cured and should not be able to claim "rights to procreate" as a reason not to suffer such punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very humane of you, wanting these people back in the community. Have to be careful as I read (many years ago, maybe someone has more uptodate info) that castrated rapists were just as likely to reoffend with violent assults and no less dangerous to their victims.

I'm against execution, reluctantly concede the need for life imprisonment in many cases.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

why is your concession reluctant? it seems like a lot of times these offenders are being sent back into society and the system just crosses its fingers and hopes that they have been rehabilitated.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

why is your concession reluctant? it seems like a lot of times these offenders are being sent back into society and the system just crosses its fingers and hopes that they have been rehabilitated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not keen on locking someone up and throwing away the key especially when some have been punished and pose no further risk. But we can't tell who poses no further risk and the downside of release is too great. I'd like to think there's a better option but can't think of any.

chez
Old 11-16-2007, 09:17 PM

I'm for giving the victim's parents five minutes with the restrained perp and a shotgun.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not disagreeing with you, or agreeing for that matter, but I am questioning some of the 'facts' you are stating as I find the subject interesting.

Is it really a cureable illness as you suggest?

I am lucky that my sexuality is considered 'normal' by most people I come into contact with, but not everybody is that lucky, and I am sure we can agree that more than once in history someone has tried to 'cure' someone of homosexuality.

So why do we believe that the desires of this person can be altered any more than my desires to be physical with the opposite sex, or someone elses desires to be physical with the same sex or whatever.

Please note I am trying to be clear that I consider Hetro/homosexuality as the same on all levels apart from preferance, and am certainly not relating homosexuality to peadophilia. I will surely clarify if anyone wants to ask for clarification of anything, I speak better than I type, I think.

But given that, with the correct 'treatment' you could create a me where my desires were supressed (Assuming society deemed it immoral/unnacceptable to engauge in hetrosexual intercourse etc.) to a point where I could control them. Could the presence of those desires ever be completely vanquished? I doubt it, so how can we so readily accept full rehabilitation for peadophiles?

Also, if we can accept that an offender's chance of reoffending can never be reduced to 0%, what is an acceptable chance of reoffending, where we can call a perpetrator rehabilitated?

Thoughts on all of the above please.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a question of desire. Desire has little to do with it. There are millions of people who have unacceptable desires and don't act on them. Child rapists act on their desires, and that's the problem. Any emotionally disturbed person will have some violent urges. In some cases these urges are extremely strong. But in almost all cases, the urges never become actions.