Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 06:35 AM

Default Table selection

I am pretty new to 6 max, but it seems as table selection is very important..

How do you choose tables besides players seeing the flop...
I play at .10/.20 so normally that is not the problem..

I have the assumption that its better to be at a table with som loose passive players and a lagtard or 1/2 tags, compared to a table full of loose passive players who have a PFR of 1-3 and a total agression <1..

Is this a right assumption !?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Table selection

1. A lot of times I will just start a table. This is the easiest way to avoid having TAGs in your game, as most of them table select by watching the % to the Flop. You may have to play HU in a not so profitable situation for a bit, but it usually evens itself out when the table fills up with Loose Passives.

2. I never sit down to a game with more than 1 TAG at it, and I usually won't stay in a game where more than 1 TAG eventually show up. In order for me to stay I have to have position on the the entire Loose Passive field and they have to be juicy.

3. I will sit in a game with 1 TAG depending on the conditions:
-Will the TAG play back at Aggressive players? If he doesn't this is optimal and I want him on my left. I cut off all his action from other players and my blind steals and isolation raises have a higher chance of succeeding. If he will play back at me I want him as far away from me as possible, usually right across the table.
-Is the TAG the aggressive sort? More of a LAG? Then you definitely want him to your right. Having him on your left puts you in too many weird spots Post-Flop. You also want to be experienced in his play and take as many notes as possible as to his aggressive tendencies.

3. Feel free to watch a table before sitting down. Your looking for more than 2 people seeing the Flop, a lot of calling instead of raising, and sometimes the amount of pots being taken down without a showdown. You can also sit out at the table and watch what is going on before deciding to post and play.

4.When deciding to put yourself on a wait list, actually go to the table. Look for anybody short-stacked or sitting out. Decide whether or not this would be a good seat before putting yourself on the list.

5. When you join a table that is filling up, have all the remaining empty seats on your Right. This way no matter what sort of player sits down you will have some sort of positional advantage on them while you re-evaluate the table conditions.

6. Tables change quickly, and 6max tables change drastically when 1 player leaves and is replaced by another. Always be vigilant and ready to move.

7. Don't sit on my right.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. I never sit down to a game with more than 1 TAG at it, and I usually won't stay in a game where more than 1 TAG eventually show up. In order for me to stay I have to have position on the the entire Loose Passive field and they have to be juicy.

-Will the TAG play back at Aggressive players? If he doesn't this is optimal and I want him on my left. I cut off all his action from other players and my blind steals and isolation raises have a higher chance of succeeding. If he will play back at me I want him as far away from me as possible, usually right across the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only two taggish players at my site: 28/15 and 29 / 23 over 1250 and 680 hands... they are pretty horrible postflop..

I think my assumption also was based on that i can outplay them postflop so they are good at pumping the pot PF when i have som strong hands.. as well as i can isolate a smaller field of LPs preflop when i have more marginal hands
Old 05-06-2007, 11:26 AM

No. If you can get a table full of LP's as you described, it's a goldmine.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. A lot of times I will just start a table. This is the easiest way to avoid having TAGs in your game, as most of them table select by watching the % to the Flop. You may have to play HU in a not so profitable situation for a bit, but it usually evens itself out when the table fills up with Loose Passives.

-Is the TAG the aggressive sort? More of a LAG? Then you definitely want him to your right. Having him on your left puts you in too many weird spots Post-Flop. You also want to be experienced in his play and take as many notes as possible as to his aggressive tendencies.

3. Feel free to watch a table before sitting down. Your looking for more than 2 people seeing the Flop, a lot of calling instead of raising, and sometimes the amount of pots being taken down without a showdown. You can also sit out at the table and watch what is going on before deciding to post and play.

4.When deciding to put yourself on a wait list, actually go to the table. Look for anybody short-stacked or sitting out. Decide whether or not this would be a good seat before putting yourself on the list.

5. When you join a table that is filling up, have all the remaining empty seats on your Right. This way no matter what sort of player sits down you will have some sort of positional advantage on them while you re-evaluate the table conditions.

6. Tables change quickly, and 6max tables change drastically when 1 player leaves and is replaced by another. Always be vigilant and ready to move.

7. Don't sit on my right.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great post but what do you do when trying to whore and the site only has 1 or two tables. I tried opening my own tables (at UB you get more points by opening a new table) but I get hammered bad so I resolved not to do this anymore. Perhaps I should just forget the whoring? I hate to do that though as I don't know if I'm good enough to win money without that extra bonus.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can get a table full of LP's as you described, it's time to wake up and stop dreaming

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-06-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a great post but what do you do when trying to whore and the site only has 1 or two tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get all my money off UB and Absolute.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a great post but what do you do when trying to whore and the site only has 1 or two tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you advising this because they changed rake&points, or because of rumors that the site is going bankrupt?

Because the games are pretty soft atm.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:24 PM

Not really it is just hard to find 6 tables of them.
So I really donīt think 6-tabling is the optimal way of winning money in shorthanded limit poker even if you take rakeback and bonus in consideration.
The thing is that the extra tables you add should be with loose passives since you have to play ABC-poker and that will not make you money against TAG:s or LAG:s. Bluffing,raising,capping is how you beat TAG:s and that strategy requires a great deal of table attention since you have to change gears so often for that strategy to succeed in the long run. Handling LAG:s also requires a great deal of attention
However I can still admire you for coping playing 6-tables.
I seldom play more than 3.
I follow Nfinitys advice to a 100% and I find them very useful if your goal is to maximize your profit.
Someone else can be the best poker player in the world. Iīm playing poker in order to get food on the table.
I always leave the table when more than 1 TAG is sitting down.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you advising this because they changed rake&points, or because of rumors that the site is going bankrupt?

Because the games are pretty soft atm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played absolute in a long time but just started at UB and find that the games aren't all that soft at 2/4 and they often don't even have one at 3/6.