Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-25-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Best book on tells

I am looking for the best books on reading players at the tables for tournament play. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Best book on tells

Caro's Book of Poker Tells

Read'Em and Reap
Old 11-25-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Caro's Book of Poker Tells

Read'Em and Reap

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd read these two books. Then if you're still not satisfied you can look at some other titles. However, I believe these will provide all that you're looking for.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:44 PM

If someone could only read one, which one should it be?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:55 PM

it kinda depends on your experience level IMO, Caro's book is a great primer in tells but the Navarro book adds some good detail tells that are somewhat tied to tournament poker in the sense that if the decisions matter more ie one bet in limit or your tournament life the added stress creates numerous high confidence tells. Both books are outstanding and Navarros book is a very quick read so buy and read both. By the way, if you watch High Stakes Poker and have read Navarro's book you will be pleasantly surprised at how many tells you pick up on the pros. I definitely was.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:52 PM

Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it kinda depends on your experience level IMO, Caro's book is a great primer in tells but the Navarro book adds some good detail tells that are somewhat tied to tournament poker in the sense that if the decisions matter more ie one bet in limit or your tournament life the added stress creates numerous high confidence tells. Both books are outstanding and Navarros book is a very quick read so buy and read both. By the way, if you watch High Stakes Poker and have read Navarro's book you will be pleasantly surprised at how many tells you pick up on the pros. I definitely was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was asking for the benefit of others who might have that question. I have Read Em And Reap on my bookshelf. I am not sure I will get Caro's book given I have one tell book already and Caro's book was initially based on studying people playing draw poker
Old 11-26-2007, 02:36 AM

If you are serious about reading players, why would you stick with one book? No one book will be a comprehensive primer on tells. Navarro's book is probably one of the best but you definately need to read Caro's as well.

I just started got 'Poker Face' by Judi James and will post a review when I am done.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:55 AM

I am not sure I will get Caro's book given I have one tell book already and Caro's book was initially based on studying people playing draw poker.

There are general tells in it that are valuable and it is not all draw; there is some seven stud but no hold'em as I recall.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:23 PM

Caro's Book of Tells is a bit on the outdated side, but it helped me out when reading players.