Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 AM

Default MTT minraises

Is it just me, or does minraise preflop = Ax 99% of the time (talking about in the later stages of an MTT)? Its getting really predicable/easy to manipulate.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Re: MTT minraises

not 99%, I think many times its KQ, KJ, or small pair.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:36 AM

Depends on the player...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:34 AM

I find min-raises in early to middle position nearing the end of a tournament are typically stronger hands than some higher raises. You lose a lot of value in premium hands near the bubble by raising too much as you will get no callers. Players that do not know any better see a min-raise as weakness and re pop it only to find out that EP min raise was AA or KK wanting a call or re-raise on a tight table nearing the bubble.

I do not understand everyones adversity to the min-raise especially in certain situations. Final table, medium stack, 9 left and 7 get paid. Raises are folding around almost every hand you pick up AA UTG. On a tight table a min-raise here might be your only shot to get more $$ in the middle.

Min raising A rag is stupid no matter the level, I only use min-raise to disguise the strength of a premium hand. If you have people regularely min-raising A rag, enough to be predictable about it, that should be an easy game to beat. I do not see it as much as that. Early in a donkament min-raise could be anything but later near the bubble do not be surprised to see AA or KK when you come over the top of a min-raise to re-steal.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:20 PM

Strongly agree with the prior post - anytime someone is begging for action, it often seems to be a strong hand.

Early MTT, I tend to interpret minraises to mean "I want to raise and I'm too dumb to do anything but this"...which means a fairly wide hand range. I tend to defend against this by flat calling in position and using my postflop skill to control the pot. And believe me, you will see quite a range of hands.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 PM

from early position it usually means small or medium PP or k-q, a-10, as you move to middle position on, they tend to be action beggers(AA-QQ) IMHO