Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > DeucesCracked.com

Old 11-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Why Limit?

My main argument against limit is a lack of action!

Limit players seem to be dwindling, where as NL picks up new television fans all the time. The difference between 1 year ago and now is startling.

I am a player of both games
Old 11-13-2007, 02:14 PM

They are just different games. (not completely, but...)

In limit, your mental standards for "Man,did I get sucked out on!", have to be a bit looser. That is to say, you can't get upset at the people you chase you down. You just look at whether or not your opponents made a mathematical mistake (or whether you did)

The "luck" is the same.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Limit players seem to be dwindling, where as NL picks up new television fans all the time. The difference between 1 year ago and now is startling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you playing limit? Click Here
Old 11-13-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you playing limit? Click Here

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4.00 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">SB bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.00 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">SB bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (8.00 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 10.00 BB

Results:

SB mucks 4c, 7d.
Hero shows 8c, 8s (Two Pair, jacks and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.66 BB.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In limit, your mental standards for "Man,did I get sucked out on!", have to be a bit looser. That is to say, you can't get upset at the people you chase you down. You just look at whether or not your opponents made a mathematical mistake (or whether you did)

The "luck" is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a another case for limit. your tolerance for beats are stregnthened by such. although nobody likes to be drawn out on, it becomes just another part of the game. if one were to switch from limit to nl, they may have built a sort of immunity to beats that others may be tilted by. handling these situations and persevering is extremely important in any form of poker.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am a player of both games

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the opposide is true as you play more hands in limit hence more action.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:43 AM

Woops, mis-communicated my idea there! I didn't mean a lack of bad players, I can find that anywhere. What I meant was, a smaller player base at medium stakes, full ring games.

For example, I find less and less full tables of 15/30-25/50, Where I used to play

Nice hands though!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:44 AM

That's true.

I cut my teeth on limit, and my bad beat tolerance is probably higher for it.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The "luck" is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a another case for limit. your tolerance for beats are stregnthened by such. although nobody likes to be drawn out on, it becomes just another part of the game. if one were to switch from limit to nl, they may have built a sort of immunity to beats that others may be tilted by. handling these situations and persevering is extremely important in any form of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I compare this to sparring for boxers. If you get hit in the face enough times, it doesn't hurt much anymore. You get used to being punched in the head. Same thing with bad beats. (That's the theory, anyway.)
Old 11-15-2007, 10:18 AM

Isn't the simple fact that you play limit if you enjoy it more than NL and vice versa? If u like both, then play both. There are all kinds of logical and not quite that logial reasons why people like one thing more than another.

I am a limit guy. I like that you are able to plan almost the entire hand through. I like that no-one can run you over with big bluffs. I like that you often get to play many streets instead of just big bets early. I think it's more fun/giving to discuss with my friends and in these forums, because reads is a samller part of the correct play(compared to NL that is).

These are my reasons. They may all be stupid, but even if someone proved to me they were I would still play limit!