Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage ti

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't call it running up the score - maybe "not playing conservative" - but that's about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

looking at it again, I really think the Cowboys one is the only "running up the score" incident.

also, as another poster said, this is Brady's 1st year with Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Kyle Brady. you can't mimic actual game conditions, so I think you can cut them a bit of slack for trying to get their game timing/etc down in the first few weeks of the season. it's not like these guys have been playing together for years and have an on/off button.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:44 AM

the entire concept behind this thread is just so dumb. who cares if a team wants to score as many points as possible? it should be applauded, not looked upon as disrespectful or whatnot. these are professional teams, this isn't like picking on a kid in the playground.

and yeah the simmons articles are silly, but they are hilarious purely because they are so over the top.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the entire concept behind this thread is just so dumb. who cares if a team wants to score as many points as possible? it should be applauded, not looked upon as disrespectful or whatnot. these are professional teams, this isn't like picking on a kid in the playground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh that's exactly the problem. You're not amatuers, you're pros. They're expected to conduct themselves as such. Also, as has been said, the NFL is cyclic, and it's not a pretty picture to see a team that was fairly recently 1-15 who was treated with this basic respect now refusing that respect to others.

Cody
Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey question. if the pats go 15-0-1, are they still undefeated ? I would say yes

[/ QUOTE ]

if the pats don't lose a game are they still undefeated?

yeah i'm gonna have to agree with you on this one champ.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhh that's exactly the problem. You're not amatuers, you're pros. They're expected to conduct themselves as such. Also, as has been said, the NFL is cyclic, and it's not a pretty picture to see a team that was fairly recently 1-15 who was treated with this basic respect now refusing that respect to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

what does conducting yourself like a pro even consist of?

look at pretty much any other professional sport. you don't see the team that is leading slow down at all, and the very best will want to score more and more points even when the game is completely beyond doubt. yeah, they might sub a few players off (though not always), but i guess your gripe isn't even with the fact that brady remains on the field until the end of the game, more the fact that he is, shock horror!, trying to throw for touchdowns.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Fairly recently 1-15? Name one person currently associated with the Patriots that was a part of that. Then name one person associated with this team that will still be around to deal with the payback for the perceived lack of respect that you are talking about.

As for the respect thing, listen to Belichick's comments about Wilson and the Cowboys, then listen to Wilson's snide remarks about Belichick and the Pats and you tell me who is treating whom with respect.

I still can't believe people think the Pats were running it up on Sunday. The COWBOYS called a time out with 1:46 left. I can't recall an instance of a team taking a knee when they couldn't run the clock out. Does this routinely happen?
Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess your gripe isn't even with the fact that brady remains on the field until the end of the game, more the fact that he is, shock horror!, trying to throw for touchdowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they probably should pull him, for a couple reasons.

In any case, are you leveling here? This isn't a war (despite what Kellen might tell you), it's not a battle to the death. The players are out there doing a job and no one likes to be embarassed doing their job.

It's a general professional courtesy not to run up the score and the Pats are basically giving the middle finger to the other teams. It's not as if what they're doing is illegal, but it's certainly unsportsmanlike, and I would question anyone who can't see why people would dislike this.

Cody
Old 10-19-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and it's not a pretty picture to see a team that was fairly recently 1-15 who was treated with this basic respect now refusing that respect to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

well as I said above, I think this has happened exactly in 1 game.

also, lets not act like this hasn't before TO the Patriots. how about the Chargers/Pats game in 2005, when the Chargers won 41-17? a guy runs back an interception 41 yards for a TD with 1:07 to go - is that really necessary? I mean he had 41 yards to fall down, and the game is over if he does.

NT,
Part of the reason you find Yanks fans more obnoxious is probably because you know more about baseball. It's easier to evaluate players and so many fans have such ridiculous concepts of values. I had two Yankees fans argue with me last year that Cano > Sizemore. It's doesn't matter if he doesn't walk because he hits .340.
Peyton would have been a lot more selfish if what he was doing wasn't working, also there you're memory is probably being selective.
The Colts didn't really build there D through FA signings or anything so I don't see how all the money on Indy's offense was hurting them. If they pulled a Denver Broncos and traded Edge/Marv/Wayne for Champ Bailey or signed Adalius Thomas in the offseason you might have a better point. I could be wrong, but I don't think Corey Simon or McFarland had huge cap figures and those are the only big FA's I can think of that they added.

Semtex,
My point is that Bill Simmons is one of the people who started writing about the Pats running about the score. Not some beat writer in Indianapolis or Buffalo, Simmons is one the main reasons this is a story.

Why are they listing the Jets as an example of running up the score? Isn't the whole reason they are running up the score a giant FU to people who called them cheaters?

Why is Buffalo listed? There were 10 minutes left to play they weren't going to kneel out for 10 minutes.

It's nice to think that the Pats are so awesome and vengeful that they intentionally score with one minute left in every game to rub it in the face of everyone else, but that isn't the case at all.This argument is much, much better than the lame rationalizations like "Well after the AFC championship game they can never be to careful" or "Peyton did it to so it's okay" or "They still need to fine tune the offense"

stupidity is rampant in this thread

nice post pudge