Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: laptop in class?

I think its pretty funny that people think they can bring a laptop to class and WON'T be distracted...
Old 11-08-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its pretty funny that people think they can bring a laptop to class and WON'T be distracted...

[/ QUOTE ]
Although you could argue an Intranet as a possible alternative, fact is some programs rely on the Internet as an additional learning resource (in class).

As well, I think if you've paid for the tuition and laptop, it should be the student's choice whether to pay attention. However, an argument against that would be the students who are actually trying to pay attention may get distracted.

Personally, I'm unsure.

edit: also, lol at your avatar.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:56 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're in a computer science course, you HAVE to take your laptop to class, at least around here.

Otherwise, though, I find the use of a laptop in class limited if you actually want to pay attention. I figure if I'm not going to pay attention, I might as well not show up at all. Most of my professors seem to agree, since they generally don't like to see laptops open during lecture.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM

if i feel like busting a lil nut during a class i will sit in the back and rub one off real quick like
Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 PM

I take my laptop to my two lecture classes to take notes on. It generally doesn't distract me because it's like a first generation ibook (maybe not 1st, dunno) and is slow as sin. It has like 64 MB RAM i think, haha.

Hard to be distracted then. FWIW, I am the only one in my class of 80 and one of two in a class of 120 that uses laptops.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 PM

depends. 10% of people used them when i took business a few years back, 100% of the people use them in my current computer programming/IT program (go figure)

of that 100%, 90% just play games and facebook all class. i only do that about half of the class.

kind of doomed tho. most IT types get distracted easily anyways
Old 11-08-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're in a computer science course, you HAVE to take your laptop to class, at least around here.

Otherwise, though, I find the use of a laptop in class limited if you actually want to pay attention. I figure if I'm not going to pay attention, I might as well not show up at all. Most of my professors seem to agree, since they generally don't like to see laptops open during lecture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, I'd say CS is the class where I'm least likely to bring my laptop. Combination of sucking for taking down forumlas/needing to pay attention means I can't really bring the laptop.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:27 PM

I've only seen one person with a laptop in class during my 4 years of school. But I'm a Phys Ed major, so that probably explains it. You can't really justify bringing a laptop to theory of badminton.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:41 PM

im a bio major so most people dont have laptops, but for a few classes some bring theirs, mainly to either talk to their friends online or pull up the lecture slides.... if i actually had one id definitely bring it to play poker
Old 11-08-2007, 11:46 PM

I think they are a major distraction unless they are w/o internet or games and are just for note taking purposes.