Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Big Break: Mesquite

[ QUOTE ]
For players that have won on mini tours they put like dog [censored].

If anyone of the group could put a little they could easily win the competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their chipping didn't look all the pro either.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:54 AM

Geez, cut them some slack, wow.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 AM

I have seen a few episodes of previous seasons when I've been over in Japan, and from what I've seen the "contests" are often skills tests that reward your best shots. Real golf is more about punishing your bad shots.

The difference between Mini Tour players and the top 50 in the world is how bad their bad shots are.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen a few episodes of previous seasons when I've been over in Japan, and from what I've seen the "contests" are often skills tests that reward your best shots. Real golf is more about punishing your bad shots.

The difference between Mini Tour players and the top 50 in the world is how bad their bad shots are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your name is Phil Mickelson?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Slack......I'm not sweating a 30' snake. But a 3' to close out a elimination need to be center of the cup.

I'm meant by pointing out that some of them won on mini tours to take away the "nerves" factor.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Armchair critic is an easy job...
Old 11-08-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Slack......I'm not sweating a 30' snake. But a 3' to close out a elimination need to be center of the cup.

I'm meant by pointing out that some of them won on mini tours to take away the "nerves" factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what the contestants have said it sounds like the pressure of being on the show is nothing like anything they've ever experienced before.

Having to sit around just to hit a few shots. Plus having a zillion cameras in your face at all times. It's a whole different ballgame so it's hard to judge without being there imo.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 AM

I would think the pressure would be far more than any of them have experienced. When you are in the middle of a final round in contention, at least you are in somewhat familiar circumstances, even if you haven't won before. This would be entirely different to anything they would experience elsewhere.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:45 AM

I would agree that it would be much different pressure than they've faced, but not necessarily more pressure.

The pressure of tour school, or the pressure of needing to make the cut so that you can play the next tourney instead of heading home is pretty high.

I can only remember freezing over the ball one time. It was on the tee of the 108th hole of tour school.

I've never played in the U.S. Open (Hiroshi has), but that's got to be pretty intense, as well.

I would think that the better (more experienced) players would handle Big Break pretty well. They have a small number of competitors, some of whom are clearly inferior.
I would think their confidence level would be pretty high.

I could certainly see where the bottom tier of players would be under more pressure than ever.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would agree that it would be much different pressure than they've faced, but not necessarily more pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno. I've already said it once but to me the thought that their every screw-up is going to be broadcast around the globe and preserved in the hallowed annals of reality TV history could probably make those short putts look a lot longer. Most of the longer, instinct-based shots have been pretty solid, but for the ones where nerves come in there have been some bad mistakes, which I largely credit to all the cameras around.

Also, WTF with the greens being so slow? It looks like this was filmed in the summertime, but in any even the course looks in really good shape but they have to mash the ball to get it to go anywhere on the greens.