Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Big Break: Mesquite

Link.

Is anyone else watching this? I've been hit-and-miss on past seasons. I generally enjoyed it but couldn't get into the routine of recording it. And quite frankly some of the golfers weren't very good and were probably pissing off people on the tours by scoring exemptions.

This season though, play seems much improved. Mostly I'm paying close attention because one of the contestants, Brian Kontak, is my old nemesis growing up. We'd take turn winning most of the local junior events from about the ages of 9-13. So far he's considered among the favorites to win (disclaimer: I recorded last night's ep and plan to watch it tonight, maybe he was eliminated) and has done a good job of backing that up with solid play. That said, he is surrounded by a bunch of very solid players though.

Quick note: I was told that on Tuesday nights at 7PM, when the new eps air, Kontak and other contestants watch it at K. O'Donnell's bar in North Scottsdale (O'Donnell is also a poker player who has made final tables at both the WSOP and WPT, I believe). I guess they turn up the volume and it's a good time. Going to try to make it up there one of these weeks before the season ends.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Big Break: Mesquite

I'm just glad A-God went so quickly...what a dick.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:39 PM

What is with the programming?

I think I watched an episode like 2 weeks ago, but then on ComcastOnDemand there are only 2 episodes available.

It was decent enough to watch further, especially since I don't have any motivation to watch any other sports on TV right now.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:07 AM

Yeah, the two most annoying guys getting bounced on back-to-back weeks was fine with me. Anthony the Annoying - the Omarosa of this cast - was edited brilliantly to be disliked. I hope he really isn't like that all the time. Then this week, he seemed like a nice enough guy and all but that Mark dude was killing me with his nasally voice/surfer thing/excessive use of Chapstick. I don't know, he just bugged. And I think I pretty much like all the other guys so him getting bounced is just fine.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:51 AM

Why is the name Brian Kontak familiar to me? Did he go to college in 1991-95 era?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is the name Brian Kontak familiar to me? Did he go to college in 1991-95 era?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a few rounds with him on the Hooters Tour in mid/late 90's.
Very solid player.
He is also the guy that said he would try to qualify for the Women's U.S. Open.

I also played some in college with Matsuo. He was a very, very long hitter then.
He would be my pick to win.

I'm a little disappointed in the show in that you end up seeing way more of the ones that stink than you do the better players. Just the nature of elimination, I guess.

I read the bios at the beginning of the season, and thought it was by far the best talent assembled.
But the quality of golf shown has been less than impressive.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:15 PM

Pretty sure Brian K is the dude who shot 58 at My old home course in Arizona during a Pepsi tour event or something.

fwiw the front nine is a joke, but the back is a decent test. Pretty impressive nonetheless.

I've been watching this when I can but I'll probably have to catch the marathon replays to get it all.

Glad they finally got some sticks for this season.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:40 PM

Bitcho, what are you doing playing all the way out at Coldwater? I thought you went to ASU or something.

JTrout, I'm surprised that you find the talent "less than impressive". Maybe I just didn't watch much of the previous seasons but it just seems way better than what I saw before, and pretty solid in general. I mean considering nerves are probably a big factor in this (not that they haven't played at this level, but they haven't been beamed across the planet and had their every shot preserved for reality TV history). I'm particularly impressed by how well some of them putt.

Yeah, Brian's "claim to fame" is his obnoxious attempt to get onto the LPGA tour to counter Annika playing at Colonial. It's just how he is though. But he's been pretty mature so far on this show and hasn't done anything knuckleheaded. I am pulling for him to win. I guess people drive by his house to see if he won the car, etc., but if the producers are smart they wouldn't give the car out until after the finale airs, and he is allegedly not leaking the results to anyone, although I imagine that would be hard (particularly if you won).
Old 11-01-2007, 01:43 PM

I'm pulling for Hiroshi
Old 11-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Tuq,
I meant the quality of golf I've seen (in the 2 shows I've watched) was not as good as I expected it to be after reading all their bios.

There is no doubt the talent, and skill level of this year is much better than any other year.

I think there are some talented players on the show, I've just seen a lot of poor shots/chips/putts.