Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 10-05-2007, 12:34 PM

Default I like to do it slow, fast, then slow

Another one from memory two days ago. In the one hand I've seen villain played a strong hand a little weak preflop, and didn't lay down a so-so made hand post flop to a scare card. He limps from MP, new player posts between us but doesn't raise, I call on button with 33 offsuit. Blinds check. Flop 853r. Checked to me, I bet. Folded to villain who check raises, poster folds, I call. Turn is a J, putting possible flush draw out. Villain bets, I raise, Villain three bets, I four bet. Villain declines to break the cap and just calls. River 8. Villain bets. I call.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: I like to do it slow, fast, then slow

It's fine, though if villain isn't spazzy or a really weak preflop player, you could consider just calling the turn 3-bet. The board is SO uncoordinated that sets make a lot more sense than 2pair hands. The river is awful for you since you now beat basically nothing other than weird raggedy hands, so you're obviously not raising.

Any more reads on villain?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:33 PM

i play the hand exactly the way you played it. horrible river i dont think you can win unless he has a J with a mid pair or something
Old 10-05-2007, 02:58 PM

Pre-flop, I would often opt to raise. You have 3 players with blinds, including one who has already defined a non-premium hand by not raising. The extra money in the pot coupled with the opportunity to get the hand heads up in position makes this a worthwhile proposition (I know you're already on the button, but it still applies). Make the 3 blinds pay an extra small bet (or 1.5 for SB) to see the flop. In addition to small pocket pairs, I would actually do this with most any hand I wish to play.

Benefits:
(a) If it gets heads up, you can often take it down with a continuation bet.
(b) If it gets multi-way, you can opt to bet a favorable flop, or you can take a free turn to get a set (in effect you can get a 4-card flop if you choose).
(c) Your hand is very much disguised if you hit. You have the potential to get paid handsomely.
(d) You can buy a lot of equity with that extra small bet by causing others to fold.

Garland
Old 10-05-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i play the hand exactly the way you played it. horrible river i dont think you can win unless he has a J with a mid pair or something

[/ QUOTE ]
I would also play it the same way as you (i.e. call the river)...but, I don't see how it was a horrible river...the only hand that is now ahead of us that was behind us on the turn is J8 (since I am excluding 85 & 83 from his possible holdings).
Old 10-05-2007, 03:57 PM

I thought my cap on the turn was marginal, I put him either on another set or J8 after he raised, and of course since I was hoping for J8 I put the fourth bet in. But I think that action was poorly reasoned as J8 is an odd hand to checkraise the flop with, so the only hands that makes sense are 88, 55, 85, or 53. But when he bets the river 53 is out, so that only leaves him with hands that beat us.