Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: lol bet/foldaments

[ QUOTE ]

Teach me. I'm such a tilt monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

for me, it's really simple. i see poker as a series of moves that are either profitable or unprofitable. each decision (or sometimes a series of decisions) either makes money or doesnt. i have a really cold, analytical approach to the game, and pretty much always try to keep my emotions of it.

somehow, i usually do this without coming off as a douchebag (i hope) to the table.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Teach me. I'm such a tilt monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

for me, it's really simple. i see poker as a series of moves that are either profitable or unprofitable. each decision (or sometimes a series of decisions) either makes money or doesnt. i have a really cold, analytical approach to the game, and pretty much always try to keep my emotions of it.

somehow, i usually do this without coming off as a douchebag (i hope) to the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're willing to continue engaging me on this concept I think it could be of great value to the forum.

I see the game largely the same way. I think of poker as one decision at a time, and each decision needs to have positive long term expectation. I'm not much of a math guy, but through experience and past study I can approximate my decisions. I'm analytical but not in mathematical way because I'm simply not capable of the higher level stats. My difficulty comes in keeping my emotions out of it.

Generally what happens in a session is this. The first few beats don't bother me. I literally laugh them off; it doesn't affect me or how I play, I believe. Then I take one more and start to get a little uncomfortable. Then I take one more and that's it, the wheels have come off. I get up and leave then, of course, but I didn't used to.

I feel that I should have more control over my emotions than this. Getting up and leaving after taking 5 or 6 [censored] beats just should not affect me that much. What I have been in search of is a way to control my emotions, not a new way to fundamentally view the game.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I feel that I should have more control over my emotions than this. Getting up and leaving after taking 5 or 6 [censored] beats just should not affect me that much. What I have been in search of is a way to control my emotions, not a new way to fundamentally view the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sure if this answers your question or not. sorry if it doesnt.

how often are you going to showdown? serious question. if you're constantly seeing that your outdrawn, there is a high probability that you are paying off too much.

common wisdom says that folding the winner can put you on tilt. maybe so, but constantly paying off when its clear you're beaten isnt going to contribute to your emotional state, either. frankly, when you pay off the passives over and over again, the doubts and frustrations may start piling up. you start questioning your skill, your luck, everything, and blam, tilt.

dont pay off the passives. make the right play every time and know you're making the right play (this often implies folding), and make it wrong for the fish to even bother to chase you down when you give them no implied odds. dont take too much time with your folding decisions, either, otherwise people might start to take shots at you and leave you in a tough spot.

heres a hand from yesterday.

5 limpers to me, I raise black kings in the BB. all call.

flop is 844 two spades. SB checks, I bet, everyone calls, SB CR's, I tank for a moment and 3 bet. as soon as I 3 bet I have a plan for the turn. a few folds but most call, like 4 to the turn. I already know that a 4 might be out there, as well as a flush draw. at this point my plan is to bet/fold all non K, non-4 turn cards.

Turn red ace. SB checks, I bet, 1 caller, a passive limper now raises, SB folds, and I fold in a nanosecond.

is this advice dangerous? sure. if you bet/fold too much you're gonna be folding winners. you cant do this vs everyone. sometimes even though you're behind you have to see the river. sometimes against a tricky player you gotta ust buckle up and showdown your hand. just know your making the right play vs your opponents hand range.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:40 PM

Sure, I see where you're coming from. I'm folding the hand in your response too. I am probably going to showdown too much in my own play, fwiw, but I doubt that it is excessive. It's hard to quantify with only live play, though. And a lot of the beats that do tilt me are after I have folded my hand. I am going to work on that, though.

I'm not sure what I expected you to say. I think that perhaps I just have to recognize my limitations and play within myself. If I get tilty after taking a certain kind or certain number of beats maybe I should just recognize that as part of me as a player and run away from Canterbury as fast as possible (which wouldn't be very fast, but you see my point). It's possible if I don't stay at the table when I'm emotionally screwed up and focus on my decisions this will be the sort of thing that gets better over time. It certainly has gotten better compared to a couple of years ago. I used to practically sit down on tilt, and it didn't help that I sucked and didn't realize it. When I look at myself a year ago I barely recognize that player as me, let alone the complete donktard I was two years ago. So there has been progress.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:01 AM

This may be starting to sound like a HC instead of a LC thread. This may sound weird to some but I don't get up and take a break after a beat or a few bad ones. To me getting up from the table is showing everyone that it has gotten to me and I am steaming. Just a personal choice that I made regarding beats and tilt that I stick with. I am pretty even keeled emotionally speaking so it has never bugged me getting handed beats. I remind myself that without them we wouldn't be playing. It would be like playing chess instead of poker I guess.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This may be starting to sound like a HC instead of a LC thread. This may sound weird to some but I don't get up and take a break after a beat or a few bad ones. To me getting up from the table is showing everyone that it has gotten to me and I am steaming. Just a personal choice that I made regarding beats and tilt that I stick with. I am pretty even keeled emotionally speaking so it has never bugged me getting handed beats. I remind myself that without them we wouldn't be playing. It would be like playing chess instead of poker I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to hijack the LC thread with important stuff. My apologies. I call shenanigans on myself.

I generally don't get up and walk off beats either. The first time I get up because of a beat is when I'm racking up and taking off.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Oktober der Niedrige Zufriedene Faden(Oct. LC Thread)

i feel wierd saying this because i recently posted a hand where i fold(albeit rarely) a good hand, but my gosh this forum's going crazy with wanting to make big laydowns. have you guys been reading mid and high stakes too much?

remember that along with the environment of the small stakes games, comes the small stakes players. these players make alot of different mistakes. these players put money in loosely and build big pots. these players(even the passive ones) are literally capable of all sorts of spastic postflop play.

the key to beating small stakes is build huge pots with an edge and drag your fair share(or more), not making the big laydowns. now there are exceptions to everything, and to an extent it depends on the exact games you are in(i.e. live players that are really passive make it easy to get a good read so i can see folding with more frequency) but in general you guys should be learning to make thinner value bets, not thinner value folds.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel wierd saying this because i recently posted a hand where i fold(albeit rarely) a good hand, but my gosh this forum's going crazy with wanting to make big laydowns. have you guys been reading mid and high stakes too much?

remember that along with the environment of the small stakes games, comes the small stakes players. these players make alot of different mistakes. these players put money in loosely and build big pots. these players(even the passive ones) are literally capable of all sorts of spastic postflop play.

the key to beating small stakes is build huge pots with an edge and drag your fair share(or more), not making the big laydowns. now there are exceptions to everything, and to an extent it depends on the exact games you are in(i.e. live players that are really passive make it easy to get a good read so i can see folding with more frequency) but in general you guys should be learning to make thinner value bets, not thinner value folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

james i think i have to take "credit" for this with my absurd trip queens hand.

honestly tho, maybe its because i play 10/20, which i guess is right on the border of small/medium stakes. at this limit the postflop play isnt spastic like it is at smaller limits. plays make sense, and most people dont randomly do things for no reason. perhaps some of the logic in my posts doesnt apply to 2/4 and 4/8 games.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:14 AM

Maybe this is why I feel more comfortable playing 8/16 than lower now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Less spazzy plays. James advice is good.

In other news, HAPPY FRICKIN Halloween YOU SCRUBS! Be safe.