Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: I can only beat myself

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DesertCat--

This is a great example of a case where slowing down is either slightly correct or very incorrect. Don't stop betting and raising.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great example of my struggle adjusting to the pace of limit. It's an easy decision but I felt rushed and bolloxed it. Yesterday I played 10-150 and made two good laydowns with two pair, but the pace of that game is so slow I didn't feel any pressure, took my time, and thought the hand through. Hopefully as I get more experienced with 20-40 it will help.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me this is always a funny thing that comes up from limit players.

It's almost as if they are embarrassed to take there time. SLOW down... there is no shame in taking a couple extra seconds to evaluate your decision and re-play the hand in your head.

If you slow down and start to take better lines... eventually it will all come as second nature... but in the mean time you maximize your win rate by NOT feeling guilty about slowing down the game for 10 seconds.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DesertCat--

This is a great example of a case where slowing down is either slightly correct or very incorrect. Don't stop betting and raising.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great example of my struggle adjusting to the pace of limit. It's an easy decision but I felt rushed and bolloxed it. Yesterday I played 10-150 and made two good laydowns with two pair, but the pace of that game is so slow I didn't feel any pressure, took my time, and thought the hand through. Hopefully as I get more experienced with 20-40 it will help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you're saying. Just keep telling yourself that you acted promptly at your last 50 easy decisions, and that there's nothing wrong with taking a few seconds to think this one through. It's even better for you, because I think your table image is less dependent on cultivating a slight loose-cannon persona.

--Nate
Old 10-01-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... I don't want to lose him since a four bet is an obvious flush so I call and check dark to see if I can get a check raise in on the river

[/ QUOTE ]
You check raised him on the turn, showing strength, and he 3-bet you, ignoring your message. Bet again on the turn so fast he doesn't have time to think about it. He will never fold. He has at least two pair but more likely a set or a flush. At the very least he will call the 4-bet and the river for the same money as a call and check raise (assuming he bets the river).

These absolute nuts hands happen so infrequently that even if you butchered it, its not a long term problem. The bigger issue for me, is when I hit a big hand on a big street, my instinct is to slow play. I am trying to offset that instinct by training my hands to get a bet out there as fast and strong as possible before they tap themselves on the felt. Nobody ever believes me anyway - why would they start now?

As played betting the river assures you that you won't be talking to yourself about missing 2-bets...
Old 10-01-2007, 03:58 PM

Did you make a straight flush?