Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 07-09-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Thremp - Hot Sizzle Summer Log

Thremp,

Assuming you don't get much soreness from squats or deads, if you still get sore from heavy, high-rep lunges (speaking for me personally), what does that indicate is a weak point?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Secret,

I have no [censored] clue. I get soreness in quad, glute, and hammies. I think its directly correlated with the very high volume and excessive sets near failure. I probably do ~20-30 set in each of these. And the last 10 are within 2 reps of failure each time. Thought sometimes I eff up and hit failure and have 0 chance of grinding another rep out. I'd probably say the volume is the biggest culprit.

Note: I was doing backpacking for 6 weeks before so I assumed that legs wouldn't be as much of a problem for me as upper body. Wrong.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:07 PM

Another day, another workout. Still sore from the lunges. Hopefully it'll work itself out over the next few days. I'll keep the drinking lower this weekend to help aid recovery.

A1: Hyper Extensions - 5
A2: Swiss Ball Situps - 5
Reps: 105

B1: Leg Extensions - 112.5
B2: Leg Curls - 80
Reps: 105

Notes: Weight will go up on A1/A2 next week. Reps are down on that, but getting more into a range I'd prefer. 6 reps a minute for 20 minutes isn't exactly what I'm shooting for. Even 5 a minute for the whole period is a little on the heavy side. Volume last week for Ext was 11500 while this week 11812.5. A meager 2.5% increase but I'm more than happy with it given the soreness and increased intensity I'm facing. Leg Curls last week were 8050 while this week were 8400 a little 4.3% increase given the same factors as before. Depending on how the lunges/soreness comes along I'll likely raise weight on this again and try to get the reps back down under 100.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:42 PM

are you doing straight sets of my standard lifts in addition to these?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you doing straight sets of my standard lifts in addition to these?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean or are asking.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:18 PM

i was just curious if your programming is just edt style or if you are including standard lifts like deads and squats in addition....
Old 07-10-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was just curious if your programming is just edt style or if you are including standard lifts like deads and squats in addition....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I linked the article above. Its just the basic beginner EDT program.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:14 PM

How many cals you taking in and what update on your weight? This edt stuff sounds like it could put on some serious size
Old 07-10-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many cals you taking in and what update on your weight? This edt stuff sounds like it could put on some serious size

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to eat around 2700 a day in a zone fashion. I'm not quite a diet Nazi so it varies a bit day by day. I was a little soft coming off my trip so I expect after the deloading that a little recomp will occur. I'll probably readjust as I get set into my current routine at the 1 month mark.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:17 PM

I lied and upped weight on both benches today. Seemed to turn out okay. I'll run the numbers in a second after I give initial thoughts. I got my Surge today. Not as gross as I thought, but 30% hydrolyzed whey isn't tasty no matter how you church it up.

A1: Machine Bench Press - 112.5
A2: Low Cable Curl - 70
Reps: 87

B1: Incline Bench Press - 87.5
B2: Preacher Hammer Curls - 20s
Reps: 85

Notes: A little bit of crowding problem but not real severe. I'll try not to workout right around lunch. Though I did see/hear some funny stuff. Guys on the basketball team talking about their clean and press numbers: which suck. Bench work was 3% higher than last week. Low Cable Curls was 6.8% higher. Still the easiest of all the set in this workout. Incline Bench output was 22% higher and hammer curls was 5% higher. I anticipate these to all slow down into the lower single digits as I get the correct loading on each of these. But next week everything stays the same and I just try to add reps.