Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 06-07-2007, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Cell phone contracts: I\'m an idiot

God I love cell phones outside of the USA. Free incoming, pay-as-you gos are usually in the 30cent per minute range and text messages are free to receive and like 5 cents to send. You have to be seriously addicted to your phone to go over $10/month.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God I love cell phones outside of the USA. Free incoming, pay-as-you gos are usually in the 30cent per minute range and text messages are free to receive and like 5 cents to send. You have to be seriously addicted to your phone to go over $10/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

10cent/minute is easy to get for prepaid in the US. Seriously for 99% of people prepaid is better. That other 1% should have a phone provided by their employer.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just doing some quick mental estimates I'm pretty sure I'd end up spending more money with this plan. I'm definitely addicted to my phone, but this really doesn't sound like a great deal. If most of your calls are overseas and it makes sense to use skype or something I can see this being useful, but for me it would suck. Oh yea, and I get to live in the US this way.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just doing some quick mental estimates I'm pretty sure I'd end up spending more money with this plan. I'm definitely addicted to my phone, but this really doesn't sound like a great deal. If most of your calls are overseas and it makes sense to use skype or something I can see this being useful, but for me it would suck. Oh yea, and I get to live in the US this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess that's the problem. Everyone text messages here to talk to each other and it is only 5 cents per two messages, actually a tad bit cheaper. I'd almost never call friends here and if I want to call people in the USA it is always on Skype so those calls are dirt cheap as well.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:47 AM

Please let me know what pay as I go plan will let me do 500 minutes per month during the day and infinity minute calls to about 4 different people. For less than what I pay now, that is.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:58 AM

I don't know. I'm over 1000 minutes every month, easy. 10 cents/minute would kill me, and I don't feel like I use my phone excessively.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:25 AM

5 cents a txt and 30 cents a minute |= spending less than $10 a month. That's 200 sent text messages or 30 minutes of talking. The base text prices here are much worse than that, but the text message packages allow you to get comparable pricing.

Cbloom, you're also paying retail for equipment. A quick check of At&t shows that with a 2 year plan a RAZR is $0, but for their prepaid they want $200. Prepaid is better for people with terrible credit or who only use their phone for emergencies. Everyone else is better off with a plan.