Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 03-23-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Future of the MMB forum discussion

[ QUOTE ]
I could write 5 pages about this. But why don't I just begin at the end with the real kicker. This is 2+2's rule. End of story. You can fight all you want I guess, but I think I've been pretty clear about that rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Mat Sklansky earlier today...
"all that said, we are flexible and if the moderators fel that there are times when linking to your own site is appropriate, that option can be considered."

Did you miss this completely? It's not a hard and fast rule apparently. We are asking for some leeway.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:12 AM

What is happening is the lowest-barrier-to-entry businesses, web sites, have become the enthusiastic focus here.

The energy is there for these topics. Consider spinning off a forum on these topics; there is clear interest. Kill it if it does not get traction.

If it takes, make it plain in the MMB forum or F/MMB stickies that web-site-moneymaking is a distinct forum. See my post in ATF on 'Posting Links in the MMB Forum' for tips on how to manage an anti-spam policy for posted links across all the forums.

See:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
Old 03-23-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I could write 5 pages about this. But why don't I just begin at the end with the real kicker. This is 2+2's rule. End of story. You can fight all you want I guess, but I think I've been pretty clear about that rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

"all that said, we are flexible and if the moderators fel that there are times when linking to your own site is appropriate, that option can be considered."

Did you miss this completely? It's not a hard and fast rule apparently. We are asking for some leeway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, it's really hard to think you're asking serious questions at this point. But here is my serious response...

From me, earlier in THIS THREAD, in bold font...
"If you want to make a post but feel like this rule hinders you please PM me and I will help you find a solution that benefits you, the forum readers and 2+2."
Old 03-23-2007, 12:17 AM

I'm kinda curious how the forum project is gonna work out without being able to link to the project websites.

Not that it seems to really be going anywhere anyway.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is happening is the lowest-barrier-to-entry businesses, web sites, have become the enthusiastic focus here.

The energy is there for these topics. Consider spinning off a forum on these topics; there is clear interest. Kill it if it does not get traction.

If it takes, make it plain in the MMB forum or F/MMB stickies that web-site-moneymaking is a distinct forum. See my post in ATF on 'Posting Links in the MMB Forum' for tips on how to manage an anti-spam policy for posted links across all the forums.

See:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]
Mr. Now, that is a totally reasonable post. I can't make any promises about the direction things will go and I'm not the one that would make this kind of decision, but I just want to thank you for doing something other than aimlessly complaining about a rule I didn't make but was asked to enforce. As you can probably tell there's a lot of change going on now and at the moment I'm concerned with a couple things a lot more than creating some sort of link-evaluating algorithm. That may come in time, who knows.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, it's really hard to think you're asking serious questions at this point. But here is my serious response...

"If you want to make a post but feel like this rule hinders you please PM me and I will help you find a solution that benefits you, the forum readers and 2+2."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I apparently misinterpreted that statement because it mentions nothing about actually posting links.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I apparently misinterpreted that statement because it mentions nothing about actually posting links.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe this would be clearer.

DO NOT POST LINKS. If you want to make a post but believe that post would be in violation of this rule, please PM and I will do my best to work out an equitable solution. At times that solution may be posting the link. There are two things I will not do now. (1) Promise that that will ever happen (2) Outline a scenario in which that would happen. As Mat said, we are flexible. But the standard rule remains that you may not post links to sites you are personally affiliated with without permission.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 AM

MM&B had a particular culture and was headed down a particular path. Sniper came on as mod and kind of derailed that. Now this forum has no direction or synergy to it. That was a special time and environment. We realy did not have a mod. It was user policied unless someone realy go out of line. That was cool, but we will never return to that.

This is the way I look at it. We can probably find the kind of discusion and posting capabilities out there that we used to have on this forum. Just go somewhere else for that. Maybe someone on here could build such a forum there is obviously an audiance for it as you can see from the events of today.

With that being said Im very exited to have a moderator like Evan. He seems to genuinly care about this forum so lets just go with it and see where it goes. Maybe this will be a totaly useful resource in ways we can not imagine right now. Lets give Evan a chance and lets all work together to make this work.

It doesnt matter if we think that we should be able to post links. Mat has made it perfectly clear that posting links to our sites will not be acceptable. There is nothing we can do about that.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:34 AM

How about full size screenshots of our site with the URL clearly visible?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:34 AM

majesty, thanks for the support. I appreciate it.

I don't really plan on making this a policed forum. That's exactly why my goal is not just "get rid of links" but rather "change the discussion to a valuable direction that requires fewer links". Like you said, there's definitely a market for other sorts of discussion. There's markets for lots of discussion on the internet and obviously 2+2 is only going to cater to a certain portion of that. And you're exactly right, whining about a rule isn't going to make this place any better.

Again, PM ME IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A POST BUT IT WOULD VIOLATE THIS RULE BECAUSE WE ARE PEOPLE AND PEOPLE ARE FLEXIBLE AND GYMNASTS ARE FLEXIBLE TOO AND THATS HOT BECAUSE THEY ARE PROBABLY BETTER IN BED...wait, what? Yea, you get it.