Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 09-14-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Crossfit Discussion

It's funny. I don't consider myself a crossfitter. I'm complete uninterested in the zone or anything they have to tell me about diet.

You come along and complain that they ought to recommend the "Zone Diet." I point out that they do. You now shift the goal posts to questioning why they don't talk about macro-nutrient ratios-- but they do. You question their use of zone blocks -- and it is not even theirs, but rather comes from Dr. Sears!

I mean, the Shemp fact scattergun, my own ability to spout nonsense is so dwarfed by your ability to spew. It is impressive.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:04 AM

Haha.

No, I think if you read my previous arguments. I've always had these feelings and their pretty much what I've said. Why don't they just simplify what their feelings are on an optimal diet?

I don't know too much about the whole blocking idea but I find it needlessly complex and somewhat silly. I mean... are grams that hard to keep up with?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:30 AM

They recommend the zone.

They tell people what it means to follow it and how to follow it.

The blocking idea comes from the creator of the zone diet.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They recommend the zone.

They tell people what it means to follow it and how to follow it.

The blocking idea comes from the creator of the zone diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whackness. I'll concede. I think I structured what was my point very poorly.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 AM

the goal of crossfit is to be above average at many things, so while you may never be an elite olympic lifter, middle distance runner, sprinter, etc. you will be pretty good at all of these things, far better than someone who does bodybuilding style workouts and slow cardio. face it, if you re like most people you'll never be elite at the above mentioned activities anyway, unless you have great genetics. with crossfit, almost anyone can achieve an elite level of condtioning, work output, capacity, etc. for health and functional fitness this is way more important than snatching 300 pounds or being able to run a marathon.

i've done almost every kind of workout, from powerlifting, olympic lifting(with angel spassov, google him if you dont know who he is), ashtanga yoga, thai boxing, bjj, and freestyle wrestling. crossfit and rosstraining workouts are probably harder and require more of a gutcheck(if you push yourself 100%) than any of them.

i dont follow their program to the letter, and i could care less about their dietary advice, but they have some great workouts, esp the filthy 50, and the named workouts like cindy and fran. i'm 30 yrs old, 6 2 and about 220 pounds, im happy with my muscle size so crossfit(and rosstraining) are perfect for someone like me. i honestly dont think ive ever been in better shape in my life than i am now, and ive only been doing these mixed modal workouts for about 4 months.

i do 2 strength days(mostly max, some explosive) per week, and 3 or 4 conditioning days, this has worked out great for me, i dont think i ll ever go back to just doing weights and cardio
Old 09-14-2007, 08:20 AM

i loved CF in theory but in practicality it didn't work for me becuase i was so weak...so for now, i'm just doing working on getting stronger with the eventual goal of cutting back strength days and incorporating more CF per week. Another reason it's nice cause you don't have to do any programming, you just log on and follow...
Old 09-14-2007, 11:27 AM

The site sure does read like a cult, especially the forum.

Its not a hypertrophy program, and I don't think they claim it one, but if you are able to do all the WOD's then you are going to have to be muscular. Doing 21 pullups with a 45lb plate takes some muscle.

I dont think its ideal for everyones goals, but I can see how it would do a great job making an average person much fitter. I guess that could be said about almost any decent program though.

Not sure where I'm going with this but the crossfit ideas intrigue me and I am also considering drinking the kool-aid.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:49 PM

i will be at a crossfit certification this weekend and will write some sort of objective trip report on sunday night or monday.

if you have any question you want answered from glassman or what not ask them here and i will try and relay them just like they are my own.

i have enjoyed crossfit because it has helped me be very very consistent with my workouts and i have worked on a lot of weaknesses. my guess is that after this weekend i will either be a member of the "cult" or sort of see through it and do more of my own thing.

fire away with the ?'s later. J.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you have any question you want answered from glassman or what not ask them here and i will try and relay them just like they are my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask for a quart of Nicole's bathwater. Waitasec, you can ask that like it's your own because it is your own!

Just kidding (-- we're gonna need at least a gallon.)
Old 09-14-2007, 04:23 PM

I wish there was a crossfit gym where I live. I wouldnt want to do alot of this stuff where I workout now.