Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Crossfit Discussion

ChicagoTroy,

Your central claim that they propound that someone with specific goals is best off focusing on crossfit strikes me as false and contrary to many things I've read. To wit: they have affiliated strength coaches who obviously don't do that in training their own athletes for specific tasks.

I'm going to bow out here. I will defend the above statement or previous statements I've made, but I've gotten involved in a few threads in the past about crossfit, and it really isn't my fight. And it seems like an odd focal point for the tribal sparring it seems to generate. To me it is an enormously valuable resource on the net. I've learned scads from them (as well as Ross, Pavel, etc.).
Old 09-19-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CT,

Could you give a brief summary of your main issues with it?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is desgined as a one-size fits everything (literally) program. Training for a decathalon? Do CF. Fat guy who wants to drop 30 pounds? Do CF. That's a recipe for wasted time and effort, and usually failure.

I love the fact that it gets women lifting weights and eating sensibly, and some of their poster girls are hot.

The poster men are, to a man, guys who were studs before they ever heard of CF.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point about posterboys in general. Pretty much every fitness system of any size sooner or later get someone who is good looking in it or represents its look well. Just like those bowflex commercials or those old ads where Arnold is lifting pink dumbbells, though, your results may vary. Of course, the use of fitness models skips rather than true devotees or members skips over these issues entirely.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, the big thing to me is, if you were looking for any specific goal, there is a much better/safer way to go about it than pursuing CF.

I suppose if you really like being nauseous after workouts and losing in sports and having worse physiques than guys who train less hard and eat more of what they want (there are people like this), you can feel more hardcore than them while you do it.

It was specifically designed to work better for everything, under the theory that somebody who became a halfway decent sprinter, powerlifter, gymnast, & Olympic weightlifter would outperform most athletes (You can read the first CF journal and early interviews with Greg Glassman). In practice, it doesn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that all but the most gifted natural athletes need sport-specific training and plenty of time to inculcate just the right habits, reflexes and sport knowledge if they want to outperform regular players of a sport, but CF sounds fine as more of an end in itself, which is a more realistic expectation. Just being generally fit and having a really useful body is a worthwhile goal even if you're unlikely to be a better basketball player than someone who doesn't do anything but play basketball.

One thing that, though I think it can go too far with some people, can be good about CF type programs is that they will build mental toughness. That's a good thing that has a big carryover even entirely outside athletics.

They lose me when they start celebrating barfing blood or whatever. And this from a guy who used to get kicked in the balls five or six days a week by his martial arts instructor to toughen him up.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 AM

my god is glassman a ree-ree

"Our country took a gamble in overthrowing Saddam. Successful, we establish a democracy that is pro US, the barbarity of Saddam ends, and we have an outpost smack dab in the middle of the opponents of civilization – opponents wholly committed to exportation of their cultural, religious, and political pathology. Failure might include a score of unforeseeable nightmares.

When the going looked good, support was near unanimous. When the difficulty of bringing the 3rd century into the 21st became apparent, many American’s reversed their support and found relief from their, disappointment, embarrassment, cowardice, and shame by concocting a lie – that they’d been lied to. Ironic.

There’s a lot at stake – even politically. Should we, America, civilization, prove victorious, many American’s are going to be widely seen as having been historically, morally, politically, and tactically wrong. These people now need, for their self-image, American defeat complete with the realization of any of the unforeseeable nightmares incumbent in defeat. For this they hope above all else.

For those of us who saw the risk as worth the taking, defeat, while tragic, won’t repudiate the effort. That’s the nature of noble effort, risk, and sacrifice. That’s the value and cost of freedom and liberty. That’s our faith that every man, everywhere, is deserving of freedom.

WMD’s are but one piece in the puzzle. "
Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 PM

Somebody bothered asking some fitness dude about his political opinions? Or did he find a way to push them on the website?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody bothered asking some fitness dude about his political opinions? Or did he find a way to push them on the website?

[/ QUOTE ]

he usedto limit them to rest day discussion, but he is pouring them on all the time now.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he usedto limit them to rest day discussion, but he is pouring them on all the time now.

[/ QUOTE ]

i obv. avoid reading rest day stuff, but omg you would have gotten me killed in a hilary 08 t-shirt and a the nation jacket. smiley, bro, i thought we were internet buds. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] J.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:51 AM

for some reason it makes sense that the people that are affiliated with crossfit are in support of war.