Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Crossfit Discussion

Since I'm a fairly well known hater on Crossfit. I'd like to discuss why it sucks or why it rocks. I've never done crossfit, at some point in my life I may try it. But it does not suit my current goals.

Thoughts:
1) It is far better than most programs.
2) I don't like its non-specific nature. It is very "general". You can't focus on one thing while doing crossfit. You'll never become "elite" in terms of physical potential.
3) I really really like the lower volume. Today's workout has you doing very low intensity work with a high volume. I like this paired training and do this occasionally myself with higher intensity. Though some days you just have a O-lift max day while is very low in volume.
4) It is good for a recreational athlete, who wants to be "in shape" but doesn't have any sport specific (or otherwise specific goals).
5) I like the organization of it and how anyone can just pop on this site and scale up or down the WOD and go for it.

1C5,

I think you converted from crossfit for a specific goal. Maybe you can explain your thoughts behind why you did this, what you like about each, and why.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Crossfit Discussion

1) Agree

2) I kind of dissagree with you here. Crossfit can be simply doing the WOD everyday and you a right, just doing that will make it essentially impossible to reach an elite level in anything (I highly doubt anyone has reached lvl 4 in their fitness standards by doing the WOD). However, there is more to crossfit than the WOD. A weekly schedule of O-lift/Squat/deadlift + metcon/rest/metcon/o-lift/rest is crossfit with an emphasis on explosive strength. I guaruntee that a relatively gifted athlete sticking to that schedule will be putting up bw+ snatches, 1.5xbw power cleans and 2.5xbw deadlifts within a couple years. Additionally they will have the metabolic fitness to complete Fran in less than 5 minutes and probably do 20-25+ dead hang pullups.

4) More than that, crossfit principles have been applied to baseball and footbal teams with great success.

5)This is definitely the best part. Also because it is rarely more than 2 movements a day, it is excellent for teaching technique. When a workout comes a long like 10 single hang cleans you know a person with a poor or nonexistant clean will be able to drastically improve their technique just by dedicating so much time.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:50 PM

No, I think you got me mixed up, I never did crossfit and never heard of it until I read about it here. I just do my own workout plan.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I think you got me mixed up, I never did crossfit and never heard of it until I read about it here. I just do my own workout plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh, I meant Smiley. Apologies.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh, I meant Smiley. Apologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I became obsessed with olympic lifting so I cut out almost all of the timed workout stuff. I should really start doing them again at least once a week.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:58 PM

Smiley,

Timed workouts are also done with EDT. IIRC that is a pure hypertrophy program. That involves doing you 10RM as many times as possible in a 20min window (15 after a while on the program). I'm considering doing this in the future after I get done with my more immediate goals (which should take me through the end of the year).
Old 09-14-2007, 12:15 AM

check out the two latest vids on the crossfit front page. I'm thinking of drinking the kool-aid.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...OHStrength.wmv

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...nHeavyFran.wmv
Old 09-14-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check out the two latest vids on the crossfit front page. I'm thinking of drinking the kool-aid.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...OHStrength.wmv

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...nHeavyFran.wmv

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't hate on a program that has you doing heavy triples 2x a week. But I don't like their weirdo diet stuff (why do they not just say follow a Zone?). As an aside, all the guys pictured would be huge and strong regardless of what they did. Well the first dude is little, but he'd still be strong. Genetics plays a huge role.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I don't like their weirdo diet stuff (why do they not just say follow a Zone?).

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire contents of the TOC of their FAQ wrt nutrition:

7. Nutrition

* 7.1. What's the best Zone book/reference to get?
* 7.2. How about a Zone block chart?
* 7.3. My Zone calculations seem awfully low in calories; is this enough food to maintain or gain mass?
* 7.4. How do I get started with the Zone?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:40 AM

shemp,

Is there something wrong with just saying 30/30/40?

[ QUOTE ]
7.3. My Zone calculations seem awfully low in calories; is this enough food to maintain or gain mass?

There are more calories than you see; when counting Zone blocks, you only consider the primary nutrient type (e.g., treat fruits, vegetables, and any grains as a carb source alone. Eat lean protein and don't count its fat content towards your 1.5g of fat per block. Eat healthy fats and ignore any non fat macronutrients they have. Don't count the protein in tortilla, banana, or pecans, etc. Consider them carbs or fat. Treat peanut butter as a fat. You wouldn't apply the protein and carb totals in peanut butter towards your block count.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, why bother to learn a "zone block"? It just seems they intentionally try to "crossfitize" everything to make it different somehow. Instead of viewing the program for what it is, they made something that is cult-like and unable to be replaced.

Here's 7.2 http://www.mitymous.net/weights/zoneblox.htm

What does it mean? I have no clue. Why can't they just simplify it and be like "Follow Zone, don't eat a lot of saturated fat. Enjoy."