Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 01:35 AM

Default Im thinking i played the right??

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.40, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (7.40 SB)

Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (5.20 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (7.20 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (9.20 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (9.20 BB - $36.80)
Old 11-24-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Im thinking i played the right??

Bet 4th. As played, probably checkraise 4th.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet 4th. As played, probably checkraise 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this line.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:22 AM

Any read on the bring-in? That's a pretty strong raise on his part and for some players it would mean aces in the hole or rolled. In general though, I would either raise again on third if I think the 9 might fold a pair of nines to this or checkraise the flop to give myself a better chance of winning the hand heads-up? 5th, 6th and 7th are fine.

Jeff
Old 11-24-2006, 03:23 AM

Why?

Jeff
Old 11-24-2006, 09:57 AM

This is the way an average losing poker player plays stud. My entire response was somehow deleted but when I get back from an appointment, I'll try to post again.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:07 PM

Well do you have any read on the player? Do you think the player has a read on you? What does he think you are raising with? What hands are likely this player will raise to close the action with after you raise in EP with a K showing? villain may simply not be paying attention or thinking about it...if that is the case then maybe you should pump up the pot right away on 3rd and maybe get it heads up. The check-raise on 4th is another decent option. If he is a thinking player, he most likely won't raise without something that plays well against your possible kings. Could be pocket aces, maybe diamonds, but they are too dead for a good player to put in a raise here. COuld be rolled up, though that is unlikely on 3rd with dead 3 out there (then becomes impossible on 5th of course). I think either betting out 4th or check-raising 4th is necesssary here to find out where you stand. You gain no information by simply calling and the cheap street is where you want to find out where you're at.

5th-7th plays itself I think.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:44 PM

I would either re-raise third or check-raise fourth. I lean toward the check-raise, because it faces the Nines with two bets cold, which will most probably fold him, after he has already contributed some dead money on third. If you get re-raised on Fourth, then you know for sure you're against (AA)35 or (33)35, and you play accordingly. By that I mean check/fold if he makes an open pair, but play two pair as a probable winner otherwise.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:39 PM

This hand was not even close to being played right. It was, at best, played poorly. But its the typical way an average 2-4 player plays. Both Jeff and PL accurately point out the need for reads, because the hand is strictly player dependent. But I have to assume this is an average 2-4 game, played by average 2-4 players. The folowing is a summary of how the hand should be played:

3rd Street - Cap the betting as long as seat 8 calls
4th street - Same
5th, 6th and 7th - Bet 100% of the time

My reasons will follow. For some unknown reason parts of my post are being deleted.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:13 PM

3rd Street: Seat 8 is trying to play the hand cheaply with a pair of nines with a kicker lower than a K or is on a draw. He is the "chaser" in this hand (THE READ: has this player shown in the past a history of chasing in this situation. Very Important.) A chaser has to be made to pay, especially in this situation. Seat 6 has, 70% of the time, a Pair of As or Ks and the other 30%, a pair of Qs, Js, 10S or a st8 flush draw. Obviously you need seat 6 to cap the betting and this is what you hope for. You must make the chaser feel uneasy and in a position to make a tough decision. As played, his call is easy, way to easy.

4th Street: Both seat 6 and 8 catch terrible cards. Bet into seat 8 and RR when it comes back to you. But this where it gets interesting because you need seat 6 to RR and if he slows down, then you gained information about his hand, Very good chance he doesn't have As or Ks. If its Capped then the hand is +EV for you and seat 6 if seat 8 continues to call. (Error #1) You make life to easy for seat 8 and (Error #2) you not quite sure what seat 6 has, beacuse if he RR then you're 95% sure he has the As or Ks and can't improve on 5th or 6th without you knowing. This makes getting out of the hand very easy on your part. Or if you improve, as you did, an easy bet. As the hand played out, 5th and 6th are easy bets.