Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Miss Me?

Hello All-

Took a couple of weeks off from the poker as part of my routine maintenance program after a couple of bad sessions. Also, met a cute girl. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I now feel quite centerted and ready to get back in the mix.

Here is a hand I have been mulling over and I think there is defintiely a correct way to play 5th and 6th here. All comments appreciated.

$20-$40 at the Commerce

My first hand at the table but I had been watching the play for about 15 mins. Villian is a semi-regular, loose passive cold calling donkey.

3rd St.

Villian: (xx)6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] BRING IN, call
Seat 2: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] fold
Seat 3: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] fold
Seat 4: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] fold
Seat 5: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] fold
Me: (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] complete
Seat 7: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] fold
Seat 8: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] fold

4th St.

Villian: (xx)6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] call
Me: (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] BET

5th St.

Villian: (xx)6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] call
Me: (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] BET

6th St.

Villian: (xx)6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Me: (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ??????

6th St.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Miss Me?

What are the antes and bring-in?

6th looks like a checkraise is pretty possible, but it really sucks if he checks behind.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:36 PM

$20 - $40 ante is $3 and bring in is $5

What range of hands do you put this guy on?
Also, what do you think he is giving me credit for?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:38 PM

Am I missing something here? This looks like a no-brainer bet-out on 5th street and 6th street. Given the way he has played the hand so far as you have posted it, the only thing I can put him on is a pocket pair like 99, TT or (worst case) JJ. If he was rolled-up with 6s or made trip Ks he surely would have raised you on 5th street, wouldn't he?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:40 PM

Would he? I might wait to raise a set here until 6th street. He did call my open queens bet on 5th.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:49 PM

I think he has something like kings and sixes, or started with 3-flush and has kings. If you check it will look like you were stealing, made a pair of queens, but now are worried because he called you.

It is possible that he has trip kings, but seems unlikely enough that I wouldn't worry too much. If you think for some reason that it is more likely than this that he has some weird monster, I would just bet out, because you don't want to checkraise and get 3-bet. I'm not feeling scared enough to check-call though.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:54 PM

OK...upon further review I could put him on a couple other hands. Obviously he could have had AA in the hole (unlikely) or AK in the hole (more likely). If he had AK, he probably figured you were on a steal at the start and might have planned to call until 5th street and then fold if he didn't improve. Since he did hit a K on 5th street, he decided to call.

Nonetheless, even if the absolute worst case scenario is in play here, i.e., he slow-played trip Ks on 5th, I just don't see how checking 6th street is better than betting-out.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he has something like kings and sixes,...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...I feel so foolish now for having overlooked the most obvious. Good catch. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he has something like kings and sixes, or started with 3-flush and has kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is dead. He may very well have Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] though, in which case giving him a free card isn't a bad idea unless he has specifically Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I don't think you stand to make much if anything by getting fancy here, in the immediate sense. But you probably don't lose much by it, either.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:53 PM

If he's chasing you with one pair and gutshot or one pair and a three-flush (which is what I'd give him on Six), you want to charge him. He won't bet that hand himself. Bet Six. If he has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the hole, he'll let you know. Failing that, bet the river.