Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-22-2007, 02:43 AM

Default Silly $6/12 stud/8 hand

This is from a live $6/12 stud/8 game the other day at Canterbury Park. One dollar ante in this game. My opponents for this hand are DL, a very loose, very passive gentleman in his 70s, and SW, who might be almost as much of a nit as I am. SW is very tight. I may have something screwed up here, but I think the basic gist is correct. A low card brings it in, DL calls with a small heart showing, I limp with (Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (one diamond is gone) because, what the hell, it's $2, another 2+2er named Andy folds, and SW makes it $6 with a Seven in the door. Everybody folds back to DL. He and I call. Three to the flop.

On fourth, SW catches an Ace and bets. DL catches another small heart and calls. I catch the 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and call. Fifth street comes down a bit like this:

SW (xx xx) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__bets__calls
DL (xx xx) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__calls__calls
<font color="green">Andy B</font> (Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__raises

DL's board is more than a little scary, but he doesn't have a made hand yet. With a flush or a low, he'd raise. My flush is currently best, and who knows, I might make a low. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sixth street action:

SW (xx xx) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__checks__calls
DL (xx xx) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__checks__calls
<font color="green">Andy B</font> (Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__bets

Gotta have a Ten to win in this game. DL does not have a heart in the hole. Obviously, he's drawing live.

On the river, I somehow snag the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SW checks, DL bets out, and I raise....
Old 10-22-2007, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Silly $6/12 stud/8 hand

easy raise. you're definitely getting half the pot here but more importantly almost always scooping

if DL doesn't have a made flush or low on 6th, he needs to catch the Kh to beat your on the riverand if he does, he doesn't make a low.

we don't have to be worried about SW too much. his boat outs are mostly dead, and if he still managed to boat up, he doesn't have a low.

so the only way to not get some of this pot is if both of these guys caught near-perfect on you.

and i don't think a raise is bad because i don't think there are many hands SW (a tight player) will call one bet after an overcall against these boards but not 2.

how'd i do?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:02 PM

Gotta love your 3rd street play--slowplaying your draw to split queens. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

On 6th street it's hard for me to figure out DL. He doesn't have a hand, but he's got four hearts and three low cards showing. What could his down cards be? I guess rolled 6s would have qualified him for betting/raising earlier. How about two pair (6,3)?

I don't like your raise on the end. If DL is in his 70s, he's been playing hi-lo stud of some sort for over 50 years--he's got you beat at least one way. Let's just call here and invite SW in.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:06 PM

nah DL can easily be betting, and probably is betting, his rivered "better" flush.

which is the main reason to raise here, because if there's any chance of making SW fold a low, you have to take it.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nah DL can easily be betting, and probably is betting, his rivered "better" flush.

which is the main reason to raise here, because if there's any chance of making SW fold a low, you have to take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I think the River is an easy raise given your confinent read on DL. It's pretty unlikely you don't have the best high hand here, even if SW started with an Ace his boat cards are really dead too. If he did fill up, your raise would allow SW to face DL with 2 bets and make him consider folding a worse low (although that sounds pretty unlikely).
Old 10-22-2007, 03:56 PM

The problem is, if SW has any hand reading ability he is skeptical that your low can beat his.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:03 AM

Default Results here

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is, if SW has any hand reading ability he is skeptical that your low can beat his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially given my propensity for taking down half of a big pot with rough Eights. Like this time.

SW thought a bit and called. He didn't seem to like it too much. DL called. DL had rivered a flush. I don't think I really noticed what he was on, as I was focused on SW's hand. He had started with two small spades in the hole and rivered the Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SW's AQT flush beat my AQ8 flush and DL's AT flush. My 87 was good for low, ldo.

I did leave out the silly part. I was running at the mouth as I am wont to do from time to time, especially in this game. When DL bet the river, I announced, "this may be the dumbest thing I've ever done," before raising. It was pretty unlikely that DL had me beaten for high, although he could have, and if he had made a low, it was better than mine. He's not betting 876 into my board. Meanwhile, SW isn't going to fold anything I want him to fold. I thought about going for the over-call, in which case SW probably raises as it turns out, so the same two bets go in.