Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-13-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Andy B actually lays down a hand--$30/60 stud/8

I folded split Queens a couple of times and played them a couple of other times. In this particular hand, there were only a couple of low cards out, and a lot of 9-J. I think raising was correct.

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I've made queens a bunch; I am against two live ones; I am now officially married to this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ordinarily, this is about how I'd see it. At this particular time, I didn't. Can't really explain it.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...is he even thinking about what Andy might have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:55 PM

btw, this thread has 17 replies, and 0 people have pointed out that if you make a boat on the river and lose the hand, 3 bets will go in
Old 10-13-2007, 03:56 PM

Against good players, it's an agonizing fold. Against patzers, I think calling one bet with the intention of calling no more than one more is reasonable.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I should have called the $60 and folded if it was raised and re-raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding!
Old 10-14-2007, 01:13 AM

I think its a good fold although at higher limits sometimes in this specific situation the other high hand may attempt to bluff you out of the pot with the logic of if I raise him, he has to assume I have trips beat and split with the non high low hand. In this case however, the low hand is a connected board and not a rough low. With that reasoning, it would be hard to imagine that the other high hand is betting without having you beat and having a weak enough hand to bet into the potentially high and low other player.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Results for the results-oriented

I probably don't post this if I was shown a full house and a 64. 444 scooped my pot. Other guy had KK66. I said nothing, and I don't think I let on that I had laid down QQQ to these monkeys.

On fifth, I thought that it was highly likely that I had the best hand, and that 432 could be raising on the come or just because he likes splashing around. When the Kings came out betting on sixth, I revised my read. The bettor is a bad player, but he's not completely clueless. He's looking at a four-card straight and a guy who probably has three Queens, and he comes out betting. There's a decent chance he's full--Sixes full, Kings full, Nines full, who knows? Meanwhile, the other guy can certainly have a straight or make one on the river (I believe that Fives were completely live). It's costing me a minimum of $180 to see this through, and I'm probably playing for half of the pot. I'm wasn't terribly surprised by the results, and while something like this might set me off, it didn't in this case for some reason. Maybe I'm maturing.

Yeah, right.

Did no one comment on fifth because not raising into 432 is super-standard?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Results for the results-oriented

I didn't comment on 5th because I don't know much about stud/8. Actually, analysis on 6th can be done almost entirely without knowledge of the game in question except for answering "how often will my improved hand win"

If you fear one opponent has a straight, and the other has kings up, I think it's an easy call because you're getting the right odds to chase a full house/quads, even calling 2 bets on 6th. If you think one opponent has KKK then it's a lot closer because not only are you beat now, then 1/4 of the time that you improve to a FH he improves to a better one.

If you had time probably you'd want to create a little tree of possibilities and estimate the equity of each branch, etc, but who can do that in real time?

Regarding the tilt issue, certainly something like this might make me tilt a bit. But so would losing a bajillion dollars if I called it down and lost to exactly what I feared when I was calling. Given how many bets I think would have gone into this if you called on 6th, I think it's actually pretty close as to whether calling and being wrong is worse than folding and being wrong.

I might actually mutter "I guess queens up isn't going to win this hand" or something as I folded. It's a thing Mike Caro mentioned in one of his books, like folding on the river with 2 pair and claiming that you missed your flush draw AGAIN