Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Miss Me?

What 1 pair gutshot hands are calling 3rd?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What 1 pair gutshot hands are calling 3rd?

[/ QUOTE ]A loose, passive calling station calling half a bet? Pocket Tens (essentially a gutshot here), Pocket Nines, Split Sixes with a suited Nine or Ten, Split Sixes with an Ace, any three-flush with a picture card and a Nine, Ten or Ace. Pocket Aces with a Six kicker not out of the question, and a passive player could play them this way. He may have picked up a three-flush on Fifth after calling light if his hole cards are Diamonds.

I wouldn't try to pin it down too tightly here, but it looks like there are a lot of ways he can have just enough to make a loose call of a bet without having enough to bet himself.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:29 AM

The normal structure for $20/40 stud is a $3 ante and a $5 bring-in, so he isn't calling half a bet.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:32 AM

Not knowing anything about your opponent, I assume that he has six cards and is going to damned well see the seventh card. I'm guessing that he's mostly hoping that you don't have Aces. Whatever he's on, it probably doesn't beat Aces-up, so I'm betting sixth and probably firing on the river as well. If this is a good player, I might be a little worried, but probably not worried enough to check sixth.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:46 AM

Agreed, I think his range is extremely wide, I just thought he would dump somthing liek 99 or 1010 once my board paired.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:57 AM

Default RESULTS

I think 6th is a clear bet here. When asked what hand he had, several posts suggested betting and then said it looks like he has 666 or 3 Kings or A10 or 109 all of which have me beat.

During the actual hand, I was shocked when he called 5th and I couldn't even fathom what hand he had. What hand calls 5th and calls 3rd that makes sense? There really aren't any hands except 666 or KK in the hole. Ks and 6s is an outside shot but after I've been beting all the way that's a pretty thing call. Anyway, given these hands either I am way ahead or way behind, so at first glance I thought a check was in order.

However, most players are morons and could have anything, so I bet. He raised and I mucked (i.e. threw the cards at his eye). He showed 910d down.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:45 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

Nice hand.

Sometimes the confusion that you're facing is just the retardedness of your opponent. Obviously, this guy is a major tard, and it looks like you should make some good $$ from him in the future.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:39 AM

If that queen wasn't dead, 6th is a clear call.. Unfortunately that queen being out makes a big difference and turns this into the fold if your opponent is not capable of running some kind of crazy bluff. Good laydown and I do think betting 6th street is clearly correct. The fact that he smooth calls 5th means there is a good chance he won't pop you on 6th even if he has you beat, and if he doesn't have you beat, he'll check behind... Also if you do get raised, you have some good info to go on and won't have to pay off on the river a lot of times.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:41 AM

OMG! I'd have never expected that and would never expect to see play like that above $3/6 stakes. Villain must be incredibly wealthy or incredibly clueless or both. I hope you took a lot of money from that guy during the rest of your session. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He showed 910d down.

[/ QUOTE ] Balls. Sometimes you just ski into a tree. Compliment him for his bravery and move on.