Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity I'd be interested to know what people's sources are to find music out there. I have a buddy in the industry that tips me off, my big blog mainstays are Brooklyn Vegan and Stereogum. Anyone else have any good recommendations for souces.

One more album that has been burning up my ipod lately which I'm sure most of you PAvement fans are familiar with:

I'm not a huge fan of pitchfork but this review really nailed it giving the album a 9.9.

Last year David Berman finally toured with this band for the first time ever, perhaps the best and most endearing live show I have ever attended.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fantastic fantastic call- pitchfork has some odd ratings but this is spot on
Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity I'd be interested to know what people's sources are to find music out there. I have a buddy in the industry that tips me off, my big blog mainstays are Brooklyn Vegan and Stereogum. Anyone else have any good recommendations for souces.

One more album that has been burning up my ipod lately which I'm sure most of you PAvement fans are familiar with:

I'm not a huge fan of pitchfork but this review really nailed it giving the album a 9.9.

Last year David Berman finally toured with this band for the first time ever, perhaps the best and most endearing live show I have ever attended.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fantastic fantastic call- pitchfork has some odd ratings but this is spot on

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI: Silver Jews will be having a documentry debuting at SxSW this year about the shows they performed in the middle east. I'm am really looking forward to it. Seeing David Berman read his lyrics because he was fairly nervous while on stage and getting a kiss from his wife was one of the most emotional live moments I've ever seen at a concert.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The new Explosions in the Sky album, "All of a Sudden I Miss Everybody" (or something like that), is quite good. They're the band that did the Friday Night Lights movie soundtrack, and their music is in just about every episode of the TV show.

[/ QUOTE ]

For fans of EITS, did you know you can download the entire album The Rescue (not available in stores) from their website? I'd provide a link but the site is unavailable to me right now for some reason. But it's easy to find.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They're the band that did the Friday Night Lights movie soundtrack

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had a 'whoah' moment
Old 02-06-2007, 09:48 PM

Claunchy,

I have seen The Paper Chase at the Granada. I think seeing them live made me like their music more. This was back when they would do three day sets in Dallas, too bad they don't do this anymore.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Claunchy,

I have seen The Paper Chase at the Granada. I think seeing them live made me like their music more. This was back when they would do three day sets in Dallas, too bad they don't do this anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to see them at Rubber Gloves in Denton all the time back in college. They definitely put on a great show.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:00 PM

Holy [censored], lol...Rubber Gloves! UNT what what!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:32 AM

The Microphones

I purchased The Glow Pt.2 on a whim based on a Pitchfork review. I hate the pretentiousness of some of their reviewers but whatever - they can deliver the occasional gem and this is one. I now have everything and it's all recommended (bar Live in Japan). The Glow Pt.2 though remains my favorite along with It Was Hot, We Stayed In The Water.

I don't know how to describe their music... the new slacker pop? They always get an album listen rather than a iPod shuffle which I guess is how I listen to most music these days. Some songs are available on MySpace though so check it out.

I got a couple of other recommendations - different kind of genres - but I'll save them for now.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:40 PM

Nath, I think posting some of the recent mixes would be better for this thread, as I think that would include more artists. Then, based on the tracks you list, others can expand a particular bands playlist on their own. Of course, just listing a bunch of bands would work too. I'm a sucker for new bands to listen to.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I purchased The Glow Pt.2 on a whim based on a Pitchfork review. I hate the pretentiousness of some of their reviewers but whatever - they can deliver the occasional gem and this is one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's my take on Pitchfork: The reviews aren't always accurate-- they miss some good albums sometimes, for dumb reasons-- but if they say an album is very good, it never fails. That said, most of the writing on the site is completely insufferable.
Closed Thread